Sr. Manager Cloud Center of Excellence (CCoE) (100140)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Senior Manager - Cloud Center of Excellence bridges the gap between Development, Engineering, Finance, and Operations with a focus on modern cloud computing. The Sr Mgr - Cloud Center of Excellence will be responsible for creating and managing governance and technical enabling capabilities to effectively manage and evolve AW’s cloud services. S/he will manage CapEx and OpEx cost models and workload optimization practices across teams as well as directly manage a team of employees and partner resources to advance overall cloud ecosystem capabilities and automation in support of flexible and efficient cloud workloads.
This role is expected to work closely with our architecture, project, product and domain teams to ensure that all cloud investments align with our company business, technical and domain strategies. Evaluating the viability, cost effectiveness and engagements with partners related to cloud resident technologies and their interoperability with traditional data center technologies will be key responsibility of this role.
This role also has a responsibility to raise the level of cloud knowledge in the organization and capture and disseminate best practices through a knowledge base, source code repository, training events, outreach throughout the organization, and more.Key Accountabilities
- Lead the CCOE team as well as the vision, strategy, and execution planning for the team and in conjunction with related teams.
- Continuously improve patterns, practices, and operational efficiency within the team.
- Evaluate technology choices (native cloud services vs. standard IaaS) by querying providers, conducting POCs and providing evaluations of each opportunity, including ROI evaluations
- Provides regular governance, optimization and compliance recommendations and audits for workloads and services running in the cloud
- Ensures cloud-based networking and security capabilities align with and integrate with our broader hybrid cloud / data center ecosystem
- Provide design feedback into custom and COTS workloads that are targeted for the cloud
- Implement proactive cloud cost management solutions so busines areas and technical domains can easily track, monitor, forecast and optimize their cloud costs
- Reviews overall resource usage in detail and eliminate wasteful spending via continuous reporting and governance tracking
- Forecasts and budgets cloud costs on monthly/annual basis based upon the current/past spend.
- Intelligent consumption planning by leveraging all available discount services with cloud providers
- Drives accountability by identifying which teams are driving cloud spend and ensure owners make data-driven decisions that balance needs and cost
- Provide clear and transparent feedback to T&I peers, senior leadership, and business teams
- Cultivate a customer / employee orientation across all team members and peer teams
- AWS background, high-level programming experience, and basic sys admin skills required
- Infrastructure as code: Automation tooling with Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Monitoring: Working knowledge on Sitescope/CloudWatch/CloudTrail for monitoring infrastructure in AWS
- Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of cloud technologies
- Expertise in EC2, VPC, S3, EBS, CloudFormation, CloudWatch.
- Familiarity with agile methodology
- Demonstrable history of working with cloud technologies and migration process
- Knowledge in design and deployment of DevOps, Big Data, and API management platforms in a cloud environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively at all levels in the organization
- Strategic skills to develop long term visions and the ability to translate them into actionable roadmaps that are broadly accepted
- Proven track record of successful team leadership and development
- Positive “glass half-full” attitude, pleasant to work with, focused on customer satisfaction
- Detail oriented
- Proactive, persistent, passionate, creative, flexible, and dependable
- Strong customer and user experience focus
- Good presentation skills engaging a variety of audiences potentially up to the ELT
- 10 years’ overall experience with Information Technology / Information Systems
- 6-8 years’ functional / technical experience with custom developed applications / products
- 5 years’ experience leading or technically leading a technology function
- Successful experience with implementing strategy across an organization
- 4+ years of related technical individual contributor experience in cloud service provider
- Familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience in migrating on-prem workloads to cloud (AWS/AZURE)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure technologies (VPC, Route53, ELB, EBS, S3, Cloud watch, Cloud Formation, IAM, KMS, etc)
- Experience presenting to and interfacing with internal customers
- Understanding of cloud best practices and processes
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science / Information Technology / Information Systems / Accounting or Business or related field of Engineering
- Masters or MBA preferred
- AWS Certification
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.