Principal Cloud Data Architect ( 577354-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Principal Cloud Data Architect, you will drive innovation, profitability, revenue, and business growth opportunities by applying advanced database modeling skills with Real-time/data warehouse data architecture strategy and design principles to support metrics, analytics, AI/ML, and self-service business intelligence across the enterprise. You will require leadership for projects with a strong focus on business knowledge coupled with a deep understanding of data organization, database design, data governance strategy, ER data modeling, metadata, data lineage, data classification and taxonomy, table design, data security, semantic layer view design, data catalog, data linkage designs supporting a unified data model to be used across the organization for Analytics, Operational reporting, Executive dashboards, scorecards, Regulatory reporting, AI/ML, and data insights. You will be integral in supporting Data Architecture warehouse projects that at the core drive data insights and analytics, marketing effectiveness, channel optimization, improved customer experience, customer acquisition, and metrics used to measure compliance and improve operational efficiency. You will work on a cross-functional team of talented UI developers, business clients, software designers, and data engineers, platform engineers to play a key role in requirements, design, and in developing and delivering the next generation enterprise data warehouse solutions required by the business for insights on new product offerings and services, tactical data warehouse and big data integration, and self-service metrics and business intelligence reporting.
You’ll gather detailed business requirements from clients, work with enterprise architects and work jointly on data designs to support applications/metrics, design data interfaces and stores as required, lead data architecture and data product deliverables, and oversee development and QA activities supporting data governance, Operational reporting, insights, and analytics.
- Data Architecture, Strategy, & Management on Google Cloud Platform.
- Gaining a deep understanding of business domain data and how it is used for metrics, analytics, and AI/ML data designs for EDM.
- Working across organizations the end to end Data Architecture and strategy for a very large cloud migration project.
- Leading efforts developing metric designs and data architecture blueprints and strategy for developers, and end-user teams.
- Ensuring the architecture for integrity of data designs and governance for data products.
- Initiating data design and reviews of high-level design requirements for EDM.
- Proficient in all modeling techniques - Data Flow, ER Diagram, Conceptual, Logical and Physical
- Metadata and data taxonomy management.
- Providing data architecture strategy blueprint and knowledge for Data Catalog and Data Governance playbooks for GCP.
- Master Data Management architecture planning and implementation.
- Implementation/designs for data security classification and protection.
- Building strong working relationships and develop deep partnerships with the business.
- Leading large portfolio with Operational reporting projects and deliver innovative technical solutions to solve problems and improve productivity and business outcomes.
- Serving in a SME role and leading the design and development of the Unified Data Model enhancements to ensure optimal self-service user experiences.
- Working collaboratively with clients, developers, and QA analytics to design and implement solutions in production.
- Being a subject matter expert on the enterprise data model and a mentor to junior team members.
- Leading and driving an analytics data architecture culture through technical innovation by actively researching and benchmarking new tools, industry best practices, new theories, techniques, and technologies.
What we’re looking for...
You are a master at organizing and understanding data and effective data management and data architecture in GCP and cloud environments. You have a highly professional work ethic, and can offer value add suggestions for data organization and solutions, understand complex business processes. You thrive in a data-centric environment with extensive data stores across enterprise domains. You’re a creative thinker who likes to explore and uncover issues, suggest and validate improved solutions. You are decisive and results-oriented. You are great at influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction in mentoring others. Communicating what you’ve uncovered in a way that can be easily understood by others is one of your strengths supported by a solid technical background as a data architect and senior business analyst.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant experience
- Experience with cloud migration projects and methodologies, toolsets/services available in Google Cloud Platform
- SME knowledge & experience using and data architecture/design with Google Cloud Big Query.
- Subject matter expertise with Google Cloud Services: Streaming and Batch, Cloud Storage, Cloud Dataflow, Data Proc , DFunc, Big Query, and Big Table.
- Subject matter expertise with DataProc & DataFlow with Java on Google Cloud Platform.
- Subject matter expertise with server less data warehousing concepts on Google Cloud Platform
- Experience working with both structured and unstructured data sources.
- Knowledge of the Technology stack available in the industry for data cataloging, data ingestion, capture, processing and curation: Kafka, StreamSets, Collibra, Map Reduce, Hadoop, Spark, Flume, Hive, Impala, SparkSQL.
Even better if you have:
- A degree. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or Information Systems.
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) certification (or comparable experience).
- Eight or more years of relevant work experience in data warehouse environments designing backend ETL and database design solutions supporting metrics, analytics, reporting, and insights.
- Eight or more years of designing/developing analytics BI systems, metrics, and KPI’s.
- Experience in leading data architecture and design projects and delivering from end to end.
- Expert SQL development skills and working knowledge of complex SQL joins and coding.
- Expertise with ERwin or other data modeling toolsets.
- Expertise in Teradata, Hive/Presto, and PostgreSQL.
- Strong understanding of Data Warehousing and Data Lake architectures and implementations (three or more years of data strategy, design, and implementation experience with big data architectures)
- Strong understanding of corporate data security roles and data classification (onshore, offshore, off-premise).
- Skills to assess and analyze existing database design solutions to ensure optimal designs for query performance.
- Motivation to lead efforts, communicate effectively, and bring projects to closure on time with positive results.
- An ability to simultaneously manage and lead project deliverables across multiple swim lanes.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).