Principal Engineer - IoT Cloud Platforms ( 599112-1B )
What you’ll be doing...
You will be a senior member of the Verizon IoT platform development team. As a Principal Engineer-Internet of Things, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of a highly scalable and distributed big data warehouse and analytics platform using the latest cloud based technologies. You will be involved in designing a multi-tenant, highly scalable, big data analytics platform using AWS technologies. You will lead the overall design and architecture of core platform services of Verizon IoT platform ensuring it supports horizontal scaling to support data I/O for millions of IoT devices in the field.
- Architecture, design and development of a multi-tenant and big data ingestion and processing platform using the latest AWS technologies such as AWS IoT, Kinesis, Kafka, Lambda, Dynamodb, API Gateway, Cognito, EMR/Spark, and Aurora.
- Partner with other teams and development leaders to ensure overall architecture and design are aligned with cloud development best practices.
- Work closely with development teams working on vertical applications that use the platform core services.
- Develop platform core services that makes vertical application development faster and consistent with the overall design of the entire ecosystem.
- Work with product managers and stakeholders to set strategic direction for the platform.
- Work with 3rd party partners and cities to build solutions and integrate with the core platform services.
- Develop API and support 3rd party development ecosystem for partners to develop applications on top of the platform.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.This role can sit out of any valid U.S. based Verizon work location.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
Six or more years of experience in software development.
Three or more years as technical lead or architect designing and building distributed systems and cloud services
Experience with building scalable ingestion and data processing applications
Experience in one or more cloud providerslike GCP, AWS or Azure
Experience in IOT and/or Computer Vision domain.
Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
Ten or more years of relevant work experience.
Three or more years of in-depth experience of AWS technologies.
Three or more years of experience developing multi-tenant and high throughput data ingestion on public cloud.
Strong foundation skills in Scala, Java and/or other programming languages.
Experience developing in one or more SQL or NoSQL databases.
Experience with messaging Systems, frameworks and protocols (Kafka, RabbitMQ).
Experience debugging and monitoring cloud applications using Graphite/Grafana, ELK, Google Prometheus, Datadog.
Ability to make meaningful technical and business trade-offs with extensive knowledge of architectural patterns for scalability, technologies and approaches.
Proven track record of leading a development team, collaborating with product managers, architects and designers in delivering products on time using Agile.