Lead Cloud Engineer II - Scientific Data Platform
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
The Lead Cloud Engineer is accountable for overseeing the technical delivery of a range of products in support of scientific data management and consumption in the Scientific Data Consumption Product Line. This role works with IT stakeholders and business areas and is accountable for architecting, developing, implementing, maintaining, and managing technology including both in-house and COTS platforms, and experience products.
The Lead has overall responsibility for analyzing business needs, roadmaps, and technology within the environment to provide solutions to meet business needs. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and hands-on technical experience with data science/engineering, cloud services, and awareness of technology trends and impacts on how businesses consume IT is necessary.
This technical role requires deep knowledge and experience in delivering software solutions supporting scientific research. A thorough comprehension of data consumption approaches and platforms across a broad range of research activities is essential including data onboarding, data pipelines, machine learning and clouds services. The position will require a high level of familiarity and comfort working with Business users and groups using high technology solutions for research.
This role places an emphasis on design, engineering and delivery of data consumption products including visualization (e.g. Spotfire, ThoughtSpot), search and query (e.g. chemical search, graph and semantic query) and other data consumption patterns using data in databases and stores (e.g. Redshift, RDS, S3.)
The Scientific Data Consumption Product Line (SDC) provides a combination of technology, infrastructure, software and personnel to support large scale scientific data consumption and computing comprising of the Scientific Data Platform, Modeling and Machine Learning Platforms, High Performance Computing (HPC) workflows, and “experience” products such as visualization, modeling workbenches, and analytics development environments.
Primary job tasks include:
- Develop and execute strategies to maintain and improve SDC products and services
- Providing hands-on leadership for the squad/s to ensure on time, on cost and to quality iterations of products
- Drive delivery agile focused best practices across the team and ensure adherence to operating model standards
- Support Product Managers with architecture and strategy decisions including new technology adoption
- Measure success and value created by the delivery teams and act on metrics to continuously improvement the overall team velocity and quality
- Drive adoption and support the use of scientific data related platform and experience products
- Identifying key opportunities to provide value to the scientific organization by architecting and delivering novel software solutions to complex and relevant scientific problems in discovery research
- Pinpointing and addressing critical gaps in the platforms, vetting potential technologies, and informing business impact-driven decisions on software and infrastructure
- Collaborating with other product and technical leaders in SDC to integrate technologies across the IT organization
We are seeking professionals with the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- B.Sc. in computer sciences, engineering, or scientific disciplines
- Ability to architect, engineer, optimize and maintain software solutions to solve complex scientific problems
- Thorough understanding of hybrid-cloud architectures, services, and deployments
- Thorough understanding of technologies in support of data science
- Knowledge of UI design particularly for scientific computation and visualization
- Troubleshooting issues in enterprise applications
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate technical and non-technical information verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of professionals globally
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with architecture/delivery of data visualization or analysis or search products (e.g. Spotfire, Shiny, ThoughtSpot, chemical search)
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with cloud platforms (in particular AWS)
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in information technology support of the life sciences/pharmaceutical or other high technology industry
- 5+ years of demonstrated ability in leading technical teams including software engineers
- Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Certifications in AWS cloud platform
- Experience with designing user experience and technology for searching and querying data such as ElasticSearch, chemical search and data cartridges, GraphQL
- Passionate in driving continuous improvement to improve delivery efficiency and practices
- Drive to deliver reusable and configurable solutions to enable the product line vision
- Keen interest in cloud and evolving technologies to help design, architect and build better solutions for our Company
- Passionate about modern data management, consumption and modelling capabilities and products
- Self-starter who's comfortable working independently
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1