Senior Cloud Engineer ( 607257-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Senior Cloud Engineer is responsible for the maintaining and operation of applications within the Openshift (Kubernetes) environment, storage, and the network infrastructure. This position will be responsible for system administration, network administration for upstream and downstream network elements supporting the 5G Core.
This position requires independent thinking and a creative mindset with the ability to leverage automation to eliminate manual processes and provide near real-time visibility into system health and performance. The candidate must be able to identify deficiencies and quickly develop solutions to help improve reliability and add operational efficiencies. The role will help onboard tenants to the Verizon Webscale Platform, while developing an in-depth understanding of the client applications. The candidate will participate in on-call rotation that provides after hours critical support to tenant applications.
- Implementation of feature designs and will provide feedback to engineering for solutions to improve reliability and performance.
- Partner with key stakeholders to ensure new features and or fixes are rolled out with no negative impact to customers.
- Envision and operationalize system and network variables to benchmark the platform and to ensure reliability and performance metrics are met.
- Actively participate in meetings with key stakeholders regarding the planning, lab, engineering, and operations practices alike.
- Support, failure analysis and remediation efforts.
- Provide concise weekly updates to management and present project status to leadership.
- Effectively communicate with tenants and on rare occasions external customers.
Where you’ll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Linux system administration experience
- Experience with distributed storage solutions (e.g., iSCSl, Ceph, Swift).
- Knowledge of Git, Gitlab,or GitHub.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Experience deploying and supporting various distributions of Kubernetes.
- Linux Administration certifications I and II, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Network certifications CCNA, CCP, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Experience working with modern configuration management tools such as Puppet and Ansible.
- Experience with distributed storage solutions such as iSCSl, Ceph, and Swift.
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols, including SDN and NFV.
- Strong scripting skills such as Python, Bash, Ruby, and Perl.
- Virtualization and Linux Certifications.
- Experience with NETApp Storage Solution.
- Experience with Object Storage (Swiftstack).
- Working knowledge of Openstack.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.