Senior Cloud Engineer- GitLab
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
- Architecting and supporting High Available Gitlab instances running in AWS.
- Providing front-line support with an on-call rotation spread across the team.
- Facilitating the development and deployment of system integration strategies that promote the use of common tools and process.
- Integrating with DevSecOps tooling and application programming interface (API) management.
- Managing Users, Groups, and Projects.
- Ensuring proactive monitoring and preparedness exercises such as Disaster Recovery and High Availability testing.
- Performing monthly and quarterly maintenance tasks such as patches, upgrades, and cleanup.
- Working on large software development projects to reduce toil and automate common support tasks such as enhancing a user portal that exposes and adds to Gitlab functionality.
- Coordinating with security engineers for validation of all planned changes to the Gitlab instance.
- Monitoring all Gitlab Security Release Notifications.
- Supporting DevOps practices for Project teams leveraging Gitlab.
- Working with the internal team and external vendors for enhancements and issue resolution.
- Working with Cloud architects, and Cloud engineers to define deliverables and discuss issues, questions, and improvements for the Gitlab instance.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in a RedHat or Centos Linux environment utilizing commands that manage and measure disk and file usage.
- Experience in writing shellscripts.
- Experience in AWS (EC2, EBS, NFS, S3, Lambda). You should be able to launch a multi-region web application using AWS load balancers backended by EC2s.
Even better to have one or more of the following:
- Experience in administering Gitlab or Github.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Ansible, Linux, Python, Terraform.
- Experience in installing and maintaining Gitlab along with professional experience building and deploying CI/CD pipelines and runners using containers.
- Experience in working with API's and Kubernetes.
- Experience in Gitlab runners and token.
- Knowledge of SRE observability, experience with Prometheus/Grafana, New Relic, Logging, SLI/O.
- Ability to work independently building and maintaining Highly Available solutions.
- Ability to work in an agile fashion to analyse requirements, create well-documented projects required to complete installations and enhancements.
- AWS Certification (DevOps)
- Experience in deploying Gitlab in a multi-region configuration.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.