Senior Hardware Cloud Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will provide advance-tiered support when joining our Cloud Platform Operations team. You will help maintain and advance our OpenStack and OpenShift environments. This includes collaborating with tenants and peer support teams and participating in feedback loops with upstream resources that will shape the company direction. While embracing new technologies in an evolving culture, you will support our cloud strategies.
- Providing advanced support for our cloud platform, and being responsible for the OpenStack and OpenShift environments, back end storage and underlying network infrastructure.
- Communicating with cloud tenants and external customers.
- Troubleshooting failures and productivity impacting events.
- Patching, updating and upgrading both hardware and software resources.
- Automating repetitive tasks using agile software development practices and tools such as Ansible, Puppet, BASH and Python Scripting.
- Participating in a 7 day on-call rotation that provides after hours support to cloud tenants.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of 7 layer OSI model and Network Cabling best practices.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in engineering, computer science, or related discipline.
- Strong knowledge of Datacenter Infrastructure and commonly accepted operational practices.
- Experience deploying and supporting various distributions of OpenStack.
- Linux Administration certifications I and II, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Network certifications CCNA, CCP, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Proficiency in system administration, network administration, and the virtualization disciplines.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting hardware, software and networking elements.
- Experience working with modern configuration management tools such as Puppet and Ansible.
- Experience with distributed storage solutions such as iSCSl, Ceph, and Swift.
- Experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a virtualized environment.
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols, including SDN and NFV.
- Experience supporting Kubernetes clusters (RedHat OpenShift preferred) and OpenStack deployments.
- Strong scripting skills such as Python, Bash, Ruby, and Perl.
- Understanding of Microservices and both CNF and VNF application strategies.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a California or Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $93,000 and $190,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.