Senior Cloud Engineer ( 580380-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Join Verizon as we continue to expand our industry-leading network to improve the ways people, businesses, and things connect. Verizon is positioned to lead the “Fourth Industrial Revolution” (4IR) with the emergence of technologies like our best-in-class 5G network and the Internet of Things (IoT) to impact a wide variety of industries such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, public safety, government, and many others. We are in the midst of historic breakthroughs in connectivity and mobility to blend the physical and the digital through cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, nanotechnologies, 3D printing, wearables, and advanced robotics. As part of this team, you will play a critical role in our network transformation through building a unified network across all lines of business and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
You will provide advance-tiered support when joining our Cloud Platform System Operations team. You will help maintain and advance our OpenStack environment. This includes collaborating with tenants and peer support teams and participating in feedback loops with upstream resources that will shape the company direction. While embracing new technologies in an evolving culture, you will support our cloud strategies.
- Providing advanced support for our cloud platform, and being responsible for the OpenStack environment, back end storage and underlying network infrastructure.
- Communicating with cloud tenants and external customers.
- Troubleshooting failures and productivity impacting events.
- Integrating tenants onto the OpenStack platform.
- Patching, updating and upgrading both hardware and software resources.
- Automating repetitive tasks using agile software development practices and tools such as Ansible, Puppet, BASH and Python Scripting.
- Participating in a 7 day on-call rotation that provides after hours support to cloud tenants.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or our or more years of work experience
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience deploying and supporting various distributions of OpenStack.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline
- Linux Administration certifications I and II, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Network certifications CCNA, CCP, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Proficiency in system administration, network administration, and the virtualization disciplines
- Experience working with modern configuration management tools such as Puppet and Ansible.
- Experience with distributed storage solutions such as iSCSl, Ceph, and Swift.
- Experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a virtualized environment.
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols, including SDN and NFV.
- Experience deploying and supporting Kubernetes clusters (RedHat OpenShift preferred)
- Strong scripting skills such as Python, Bash, Ruby, and Perl.
- Understanding of Microservices and both CNF and VNF application strategies
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).