AWS Cloud Engineer (1393)
We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The AWS Cloud Engineer is a key member of a small team focused on ensuring that our critical services are secure, reliable, cost-effective, performant, and operationally excellent. This role requires a generalist who can contribute with needs in development, system operations, resiliency testing, security hardening, and performance engineering. The AWS Cloud Engineer is comfortable taking on new engineering challenges, defining potential solutions, and implementing designs in a team environment. This position plays an important role in our organization’s evolution towards contemporary application and infrastructure management practices and will be expected to both guide and support the team’s growth and learning.
Primary expectations include:
- Taking on the most challenging problems facing the team’s products
- Solving “higher-order” problems facing the team by developing new tools or processes
- Being strong advocates for best practices by modeling and teaching them to junior members
- Develop relationships with the product development teams by building trust
- Diagnose systems problems shoulder to shoulder with development teams
- Mentoring the junior team members on their journey as an SRE
- Being able to speak in-depth about the majority (if not all) of the products handled by the team
- Minimum of 2+ years prior relevant software development experience required.
- Prior experience in architecting cloud-based solutions on AWS (preferred).
- Prior experience in managing cloud infrastructure in AWS.
- Experience or familiarity with AWS DevOps.
- Proficiency in Ruby, Python or Powershelldesired.
- Familiarity with cloud computing concepts desired and infrastructure as a service offerings. (AWS)
- A strong understanding of diverse infrastructure platforms and infrastructure concepts.
- A strong understanding of the SDLC and the Agile software development methodology.
- Versatility as demonstrated with troubleshooting diverse sets of hosting technologies (web server platforms, Java application platforms, operating systems, network components, virtualization technologies, database platforms) strongly desired.
- Understanding of general networking concepts and protocols desired.
- Experience in a production environment supporting mission-critical applications desired.
- Knowledge of standard production practices including change management desired.
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $115,000.00-$135,000.00. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Technology & Operations
Req ID: 1393