Principal Cloud Engineer - Openstack ( 568131-1E )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Join Verizon as we continue to expand our industry-leading network to improve the ways people, businesses, and things connect. Verizon is positioned to lead the “Fourth Industrial Revolution” (4IR) with the emergence of technologies like our best-in-class 5G network and the Internet of Things (IoT) to impact a wide variety of industries such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, public safety, government, and many others. We are in the midst of historic breakthroughs in connectivity and mobility to blend the physical and the digital through cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, nanotechnologies, 3D printing, wearables, and advanced robotics. As part of this team, you will play a critical role in our network transformation through building a unified network across all lines of business and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
The SDN/NFV Orchestration and Assurance Development team is a part of the Global Network Management organization. This team is principally concerned with orchestration, service assurance, and life cycle management of virtualized network functions (VNFs), Cloud-native Network Functions (CNFs), and Network Services (NSs). The primary objective is to utilize our orchestration and assurance platform(s) to drive full end-to-end automation of every VNF, CNF, and NS from cataloging, to instantiation to full Life Cycle Management of each element and service over time.
- Work with various Verizon teams including planning, maintenance engineering, and operations teams along with world-class engineers involved in Verizon’s virtualization effort to design, develop, and automate the orchestration of VNFs, CNFs, and NSs.
- Manage the lifecycle of VNF/CNF/NS descriptors and lead the testing & deployment, and support of VNFs, CNFs, and NSs in various cloud platforms including OpenStack based Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP).
- Work with Verizon Network and Application Planning teams, maintenance engineering, and engineering/operations teams to identify opportunities to automate manual activities involved in onboarding, orchestrating, and deploying a VNF/CNF/NS and automate them using a centralized platform and orchestration tool chain to reduce the overall onboarding and orchestration timeframe. This includes pre-instantiation and post instantiation activities.
- Use/contribute to developing standards needed to automate onboarding & orchestration of VNFs/CNFs/NSs.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four more years of relevant work experience
- Six or more years of related work experience.
- Experience using an Orchestrator product or VNF Manager.
- Knowledge of OpenStack based Cloud Platforms.
- Knowledge of NFV and SDN products, technologies, architectures.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline.
- Linux/Unix scripting experience especially for TCP/IP stack, Firewalls (IP tables), DNS, VPNs.
- Programming aptitude in Python, Java scripts, SOAP, Ruby, PHP.
- Experience with API development based on JSON, XML.
- Experience with server provisioning using cloud-init and cloud config.
- Experience with Ansible.
- Experience with deployment or use of configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Jenkins.
- Knowledge of data center virtualization technologies (servers, networks and software stacks), monitoring tools and processes.
- Experience with Software Defined Networking principlesor system.
- Experience with deploying CNFs in Kubernetes
- Knowledge of wireless networks – LTE, IMS, MPN or Knowledge of wireline networks and services – Private and Public IP network services, Switched Ethernet Services, Managed network services.
- Knowledge of network device configuration and management (Juniper, Cisco) with NetConnetwork configuration protocol and YANG data model.
- Experience with CLI configuration of switches and routers (Such as Cisco, Juniper), firewalls (such as pala alto, F5), load balancers (such as F5).
- Experience with networking services consisting of Virtual and Physical Network Functions.
- Experience onboarding VNFs on to NFV Orchestrators such as NFV Director and Ericsson Cloud Manager.
- Knowledge of cloud-native application architectures.
- Certifications in cloud technologies (i.e. OpenStack, Redhat/Linux, AWS).
- Experience with Open Source tools.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).