Director, Diversity & Inclusion Communications
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Reporting to the Vice President of Purpose/CSR, this role is responsible for driving integrated communications programs to support BMS’s global D&I objectives. As part of the Corporate Affairs team, this leader will bring an innate passion for D&I, a sharp understanding for how it contributes to business and an exceptional employee experience, and a demonstrated track record of developing the internal and external D&I communications that enable our vision of “Transforming Patients’ Lives through Science.”
- Develop, implement and measure BMS’s global D&I engagement strategy, including keystone D&I programs, partnerships, and the internal and external communications to support them.
- Ensure that programs and communications enable our vision for success around the company’s five D&I commitments
- Serve as one of BMS’s subject matter experts on D&I, providing counsel to and writing content for senior leaders in preparation for key internal forums (e.g., CEO updates) and representing the organization in public forums.
- Develop content to support BMS’s global reporting needs (e.g., D&I input for our CSR annual report).
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to design, launch, analyze and report on D&I-focused employee surveys.
- Use analyses to advise senior leadership on global D&I insights and best practices, as well as risks and opportunities
- Support issues management and crisis communications and preparedness by providing advice and counsel impacting corporate and brand reputation on a full spectrum of D&I issues.
- Keep abreast of D&I research, insights, and innovative practices, with an eye toward how BMS can continue to make progress in its commitment to building a workforce whose diverse experiences, perspectives and personal backgrounds reflect the diversity of our global patient population.
- Partner with cross-functional internal teams (e.g., HR, Legal) of risk and compliance managers to ensure D&I policies and best practices are in place to minimize risk to the public.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 10+ years progressive experience in corporate communications with a focus on D&I in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Possesses an established network of influencer relationships in the D&I arena
- Proven ability to influence stakeholders at all levels, internal and external, through exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable and experienced in providing communications counsel to senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to drive successful D&I engagement and communications strategies in a global, matrixed organization.
- Experience developing and delivering qualitative and quantitative D&I reporting and presenting data and trends in a clear and concise manner for stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to translate complex ideas gleaned from analyses into clear, compelling, and actionable insights through written narrative.
- Experience on the front lines of driving crisis and issues response strategies in a global, matrixed organization, including applying best practices related to crisis preparation and response.
- Calm and cool under pressure. Attention to detail is critical.
- Proven ability to think strategically, listen and learn proactively, take initiative, and constantly seek ways to innovate and do things better.
- Able to inspire trust, clarity and consensus within a complex, fast-paced and changing environment.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.