Principal Data Scientist – Personalization ( 594285-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Principal Data Scientist, you will work closely with data science and engineering teams and the entire data scientist community at Verizon in scaling personalization via rapid experimentation and optimization. Personalization recommender algorithms are part of our price, promotion, content and services experiences and are at the heart of our strategy in delivering the best customer experience. Models will typically get implemented on premise, in cloud and/or on the edge and in both real-time and batch mode depending upon the business applications.
This is an individual contributor role with technical expertise in data science and AI methods and experience with implementation of AI in commercial applications. You will focus on developing and deploying AI models.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At $130B+ in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing the 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that this candidate possess previous experience in research and validation of AI and data science techniques.
Develop Next Generation AI Capabilities
- Developing the next generation of AI that protects the privacy of our customers and ensures that our modeling practices are ethical and bias free.
- Test and validate all AI methods. Deploy and manage models throughout the end to end lifecycle.
- Bring thought leadership in this space by introducing ways of identifying and testing for biases in our models.
Technical Thought Leadership
- Operate as an expert and thought leader both within Verizon and externally within industry
- Serve as trusted advisor to all stakeholders at Verizon
- Coach and mentor our high potential talent
Elevate the AI Practice
- Partner with academia and startup ecosystem to identify and potentially bring in new AI approach that can be of value to Verizon.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing these to our specific problem space.
- Help create an environment where our scientists are engaged in pioneering work that can be shared with the world in a number of ways like open source, publications, etc.
- Lead the way in creating AI applications designed with bias considerations and that promotes ethical AI both within Verizon and externally with Verizon’s partners.
- Support and further our best practices and governance routines to ensure adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and bias.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You thrive in an environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid speed. You’re a creative problem solver who loves to explore, and uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are phenomenal at influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction in mentoring others. Communicating what you’ve uncovered in a way that can be easily understood by others is one of your strengths.
You’ll need to have:
- A Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Five plus years of developing models and algorithms independently, writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic experimentation, and deploying in production
- Experience in scaling AI in areas like personalization, forecasting, experimentation, computer vision, etc.
- Expert level understanding and ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used in algorithms/models. Must have excellent coding proficiency with demonstrated expertise in python, java, scala, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of AI/ML models, frameworks (keras, pytorch, etc.) and libraries/packages/apis (e.g., scikit) Experience with Hadoop, AWS or other distributed compute services
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Operation Research or similar field.’
- Experience with both batch and streaming models in production
- Advanced knowledge of math, probability, statistics, and models
- Exposure to data structures, data modeling and software architecture skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration skills
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).