Principal Data Scientist ( 592387-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Our mission at Tracfone Wireless Inc. is to enrich the lives of millions of our customers across ten different brands including StraightTalk, TracFone, Total Wireless, Walmart Family Mobile, Simple Mobile, Net10, PagePlus, Go Smart and SafeLink. As a data scientist within the customer experience (CX) group you will have the responsibility to innovate, create and enhance the experience of our customers.
You will use the state of the art in machine learning/deep-learning to build recommendation systems, build Natural Language Process (NLP) systems for Chabot, conduct geographical analysis of network experiences, identify ways to optimize our supply chain, and more. You have the opportunity to shape the future of customer experience using your imagination and skills as a strong data scientist.
- Identify key business problems and formulate explorative analysis to validate business hypothesis quickly.
- Source, manipulate, cleanse and synthesis data at scale from disparate structured and unstructured data sources.
- Develop novel algorithms and solution to complex business problems.
- Present insights and recommendations to key stakeholders within the business.
- Operationalize the high quality code and jobs you develop to produce datasets, models and reports for production.
- Work collaboratively across different business functions, communicating complexity simply and effectively according to the audience.
- Plan, manage and execute on data science projects independently, albeit drawing upon the input and expertise from multiple stakeholders.
- Designs, innovates and test of data science solutions to enhance customer experience.
- Mentor and coaches other data scientists.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
With an eye towards improving performance and predictability, you like the science of analytics. Developing resolutions to complex problems, using your sharp judgment to develop methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria enables you to deliver solutions that make a big impact. You’re able to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences, and you take pride in your ability to share your considerable knowledge with your peers.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience as a business analyst or data scientist.
- Experience with Python, R or machine learning software.
- Experience with Tableau or similar BI and Visualization tools.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Master's degree or a Ph.D. in Statistics, Math, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Data Science, or related field.
- Experience with software development, continuous development/integration, and DevOps skills.
- Experiencewith AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or Oracle Cloud services.
- Experiencewith Graphical Processing Units (GPUs) and CUDA programming.
- Experiencewith building chatbots, conversational agents or speech recognition.
- Experiencewith applying mathematical optimization to graph optimization problems.
- Strong data wrangling, cleaning and transformation skills using SQL, Python, or other scripting languages.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.