Senior Data Scientist ( 599596-1H )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This is an individual contributor role with technical expertise in AI methods, and experience with implementation of AI in commercial applications. This role will focus on developing and deploying AI models specifically in Computer Vision, NLP and Advanced Machine learning
The Data Scientist will work closely with data science and engineering teams and the entire data scientist community at Verizon in rapid development and scaling of computer vision experimentation, NLP, Advanced Machine Learning applications and optimization for multiple domains. The usecases domain will span over latest advancements in IoT and 5G enabled Edge applications to cloud based batch mode products. Candidates are expected to work towards product development as well as research and experimentation as needed.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At $130B+ in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing the 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that this candidate possess previous experience in research and validation of AI and data science techniques.
An ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, critical thinking skills, and software development and model development experience.
- Develop Next Generation AI Capabilities
- Develop next generation of AI products in the Computer Vision, NLP and advanced Machine learning space
- Test and validate all AI methods. Deploy and manage models throughout the end to end lifecycle.
- Invest time into learning new technologies as it pertains to Machine Learning, IoT, and 5G.
- Developing AI products that protect the privacy of our customers and ensures that our modeling practices are ethical and bias free.
Technical Thought Leadership
- Develop advanced skills in depth and progress towards an expertise position
- Elevate the AI Practice
- Partner with academia and the startup ecosystem to identify and potentially bring in new AI approaches that can be of value to Verizon.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing these to our specific problem space.
- Support creating AI applications designed with bias considerations and that promotes ethical AI both within Verizon and externally with Verizon’s partners.
- Support and further our best practices and governance routines to ensure adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and bias.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Proficient in manipulating images, videos and other forms of data.
- Experience working with Deep Learning models
- Coding proficiency with demonstrated expertise in Python, Java, R, etc and knowledge of C++
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Masters or a Ph.D. in the domain of (Computer Science, Information theory, Statistics or any Quantitative field)dvanced degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Econometrics, Operations Research, Quantitative Social Science)
- Knowledgeable of a variety of AI/ML models, Open CV, frameworks(keras, pytorch, etc.) and libraries/packages/apis (e.g., scikit)
- Knowledge of Unity or Real Engine or willingness to learn
- Ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used in algorithms/models.
- Experience with model deployment in production environments a big plus
- Familiarity with hypothesis testing, sampling, and causal inference methods
- Multimodal data and modeling experience
- Demonstrated coding ability in C++
- Experience working on any AR & VR projects
- Excellent communication & cross-functional collaboration skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.