Principal Data Scientist - Telecommute (107852479)
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Our team is seeking a Principal Data Scientist with expertise and experience in machine learning. This individual will be responsible for the research and development of advanced, high-impact machine learning techniques for various healthcare use cases. This role provides an unprecedented opportunity to leverage large-scale proprietary healthcare datasets, internal team of subject matter experts and cutting-edge computing cloud infrastructure to craft innovative machine learning problems to challenging and high-impact healthcare problems.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Apply advanced machine learning and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple predictive detection engines in Optum Enterprise Analytics
- Develop actionable machine learning solutions and propose recommendations and strategies to solve commercial opportunities in unique ways that return optimal value to our business
- Be a storyteller to explain the ‘why and how’ of your data driven recommendations to cross-functional teams
- Assess internal data and processes to determine opportunities for application of advanced analytics for broad division-wide analytic usage
- Develop and expand a fledgling applied research program with focus on impact-focused initiatives, rapid prototyping and obsession with converting applied research into software
- Be a hands-on leader and teach by example by building prototypes using variety of predictive methods while adhering to the ML development cycle (e.g. iterative EDA, prediction specification, feature engineering and model tuning)
- Participate in meetings business stakeholders, data experts, software/platform engineering, physicians to scope R&D use-cases and convert them into scope of work
- Be a thought leader and coach the junior team members in the wide variety of statistical/predictive methods (e.g. DL, VAE, Bayesian nets etc) to attack a given prediction use-case
- Build, mentor and lead a team of applied research scientists and data scientists
- Self-drive knowledge accumulation of methods and modeling advances by reading research publications, blogs and attending presentations and webinars
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Graduate (Masters/Phd) degree in engineering, information or STEM disciplines
- 7+ years of experience conducting statistical, research-minded analysis of variety of data types/forms with aim to utilize this analysis into building or optimizing predictive methods
- 5+ years of experience in programming with languages such as Python, R, Julia
- 4+ years of deep, hands-on experience with machine Learning applied to the healthcare, energy, Retail, industrial AI, Aerospace or other high-stakes domains (direct experience in a cloud environment is highly valued)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- 5+ years of experience in scripting languages and utilities such as CLI tools, awk, sed, perl, regex etc.
- Experience with one or many of these topics such in customer churn, intent prediction, disease/damage progression, anomaly detection, sequence-based models, time-series forecasting or time to event modeling
- Experience in deploying machine learning models in a production setting (logging, monitoring, alerts) in a cloud environment
- Exposure to extracting and manipulating data via tool/libraries/forms such as Spark, pandas, scikit family, numpy/scipy, matplotlib, streamlit
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.