Data Scientist – Predictive & Prescriptive Analytics ( 603708-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You’ll be ensuring that analytics and AI/ML models drive continuous business improvements, bringing more profitable growth and an even better customer experience. You’ll define the analytics strategy, modeling strategy and champion that strategy across the business, in order to create buy-in for data-driven decision making. Your end goal is to recommend improvements that will go straight to the bottom line, by helping us serve our customers. You’ll also lead the Data science team, planning and overseeing the work, and creating an engaging environment where team members can thrive. Your end goal is to recommend improvements that will go straight to the bottom line by helping us serve our customers.
- Partnering with leaders and other stakeholders to understand business challenges.
- Designing creative approaches to uncover the biggest opportunities for cost and time savings.
- Defining and driving the analytics strategy and modeling approaches.
- Building predictive models using AI and ML algorithms
- Building business cases and translating findings into practical business implications.
- Driving the adoption of analytics and modeling in decision making.
Where you’ll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You are the one reading up on the latest best practices in data mining and visualization. You can visualize the big picture strategy, but can also break it down into the components to get the job done. You believe that the best decisions are based on data and you’re the one that knows how to tease out the key learning within a dataset. You have credibility with people because you are an expert in all things data but you also know how to bring it down to the level that your audience can understand—that’s practical and will help the business improve. And you’re an effective and inspiring leader who brings out the best in others.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering, computer science, or economics or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in applying statistical ideas and methods to data sets to answer business problems.
- Experience in building predictive models using Machine learning algorithms
- Experience with visual science or dashboard design principles.
Even better if you have:
- Master's degree or PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Economics, or a related field.
- Experience with Tableau or similar visual analysis tool, optimization, analytics and large data sets, developing visually compelling interactive dashboards.
- Project management experience.
- Understanding of database concepts (Oracle, MS SQL, generic SQL, etc.).
- Understanding of data warehouse and data lake architecture (Teradata, Hadoop).
- Understanding on ML tools including R, Python, SAS, SPSS, DataRobot
- Understanding of third party analytic tools.
- Experience with general purpose programming languages (Java, .Net, Python, Perl, etc.).
- Experience with shell scripting tools in Windows, Linux/Unix is a plus.
- Experience with data aggregating tools such as SPLUNK is a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.