Director, Office of Data Management & Reporting
Office of Data Management & Reporting
The NJ Department of Children and Families seeks a visionary and experienced leader to serve as the Director of the Department’s new Office of Data Management and Reporting.
This position will report to the Assistant Commissioner of Analytics and Systems Improvement. The Director will provide strategic direction, leadership, and oversight of DCF’s data and reporting strategy across the Department’s child welfare, children’s behavioral health, prevention, and gender-based violence programmatic portfolios. The new Director will be responsible for the following:
* Manage a team of 20 senior project managers, data managers, and data analysts in a high-volume and fast-paced environment
* Foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement for staff that includes ongoing feedback on performance and creation of professional development opportunities
* Develop and implement a strategic plan for the office in alignment with the DCF strategic priorities that incorporate DCF Core Approaches (Race Equity, Healing Centered Practice, Protective Factors Framework, Family Voice, and Collaborative Safety.)
* Manage contracted vendor relationships and ensure timely submission of quality deliverables
* Develop and implement a project intake, approval and tracking system to increase transparency, optimize workflows and manage human resources
Reporting and Analytics
* Oversee the production of quantitative data necessary to measure organizational performance and meet the demands of DCF’s data-driven culture
* Comply with all Federal and State reporting requirements, including but not limited to the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS), the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS), the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD), Title IVE Foster Care and Prevention Services Claiming, Medicaid, state budget requirements, Governor’s Transparency Report, and Open Public Records Act (OPRA)
* Maintain a collaborative process with program division leadership to assess needs and acquire business requirements for performance measures and reporting tools
* Partner closely with the Office of Applied Research & Evaluation, Office of Quality and Office of Monitoring to develop data collection and reporting strategies in support of DCF’s analytical and systems improvement work
* Oversee the production of static and interactive Tableau data visualizations for Executive, program, and public-facing dashboards
* Maintain the New Jersey SPIRIT application reports library coded in Web Focus
* In partnership with the Office of Applied Research & Evaluation, develop and implement an advanced analytics strategy, including machine learning algorithms, to leverage DCF’s administrative data more fully for policy and programmatic decision-making
Information Management & Data Governance
* Provide guidance and strategic updates to Executive Leaders as a member of the DCF Information Management Steering Committee and Application Governance Committees (DCF Core Applications: Child Welfare/NJSPIRIT, Children’s Behavioral Health/CYBER, Contracting/SAGE, Community-Based Services/DCF Connex).
* Partner with DCF’s Executive Team, Office of Information Technology, and external consultants in the development and implementation of a new 5-year IT strategic plan, including the development and implementation of an enterprise-wide data architecture strategy, in alignment with the overall information management strategy.
* Modernization of DCF’s reporting and analytics infrastructure and the integration of DCF’s data systems with an enterprise-wide data warehouse
* Define data quality standards and processes to assess, monitor and improve the quality of DCF’s data
* Collaborate in the development of the application and reporting tools for DCF Connex, the Department’s Sales Force solution for community-based services
* Manage ad hoc data collection systems, data management strategies, and data requests to meet demands for real-time data needs (DCF Service Report, Program Evaluations, Fidelity assessment, case reviews, etc.)
* Develop source code repository for reporting and analytics projects
NOTE: This position may be eligible to work remotely for up to two days in a calendar week.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Biostatistics or similar field focused on quantitative data analysis.
EXPERIENCE: At least seven (7) years of technical leadership experience managing and analyzing large administrative datasets using SQL, SAS, STATA, SPSS etc; seven (7) years of staff management experience including demonstrated ability to effectively lead and mentor diverse teams.
Excellent planning and organizational skills to scope, implement and track projects through to completion; demonstrated ability to deliver excellent customer service to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders in a fast-paced environment; ability to multitask with ease between leadership, project management and office operations; exceptional interpersonal skills, communication (oral and written) skills and ability to engage with a diverse stakeholder group including executive leaders, project managers, data managers, researchers, IT developers and program partners.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience in the field with proven success and appropriate certifications.
RESUME NOTE: Eligibility determinations will be based upon information presented on the resume only. Applicants who possess a degree from a college or university outside the United States must provide an evaluation of one’s transcripts from a recognized evaluation service at the time of submission by the above closing date. Failure to do so may result in your ineligibility.
RESIDENCY LAW: Please refer to the New Jersey Department of Children and Families’ website at www.state.nj.us/dcf.
COVID-19 VACCINATION/TESTING REQUIREMENT: Per Executive Order 253, all State employees are required to be vaccinated by October 18, 2021 or undergo frequent testing. Please do not submit your vaccination card at this time.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: You must submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document, saving the file by your Last Name, First Name to: Job.Posting@dcf.nj.gov
The Department of Children and Families is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment which reflects the diversity of the state we serve.