Product Technical Lead - Data Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
In this role, you will be responsible for Technical Product Management for Verizon’s corporate data quality monitoring capabilities, focused on building a robust human centered experience spanning across the Supply Chain, Finance, and HR data domains. Trusted data starts with complete, accurate and valid data starting with master data and continuing through analytical data stores.
As a Product tech leader, this leader will establish a next generation Data Engineering practice to process the data in and out of the Data platform and lead a team of key SMEs to deliver this capability and influence Global Process Owners to deliver transformative solutions.
- Owning agile delivery model, roadmap, backlog execution processes for Architecting and designing “Data engineering practice”.
- Owning and establishing Center of Excellence for Data Engineering practice by defining key architectural patterns and principles, guard rails for all data processing capabilities which includes Data Ingestion, Quality control, Curate and Enrich, Distribute.
- Baselining current Data Engineering Architecture/design and define target state with a plan to plan to achieve the same.
- Establishing PaaS/SaaS kind of service offering with Multi-tenant model to service multiple data consumers and applications.
- Enforcing product driven design thinking, modularised, configurable, automation, highly performant in every component being built, from ground up everything should be pattern based.
- Establishing standards and guardrails for Data engineering and associated governance.
- Contributing to Data Architecture.
- Partnering with stakeholders to inform the product vision, strategy, features and prioritization.
- Prioritizing and maintaining the sprint backlog for assigned products, balancing the requirements of the business.
- Leading the product functional design process for all Data Engineering components being built.
- Partnering with Enterprise Data Architecture and governance team to establish capability required to meet the Enterprise guidelines on Architecture and design.
- Experiencing and comforting with data processes – understanding how to translate business processes into the design of product capabilities and keep incrementing capability to meet the requirement, where relevant rationalize the tools required to meet the business objectives.
- Experiencing, defining capability definition of Data Engineering and processing tools and assessment of the same.
- Experiencing, employing human centered design with reporting solutions.
- Leading selection process for external project support and sets direction for provider.
- Developing/assisting with project plans, including estimates, work breakdown structure and schedules.
- Mentoring and enabling data engineers to increase the maturity of Data Engineering practice.
- Analysing and implementing corrective actions when progress deviates from plan.
- Monitoring the quality assurance, deliverable acceptance, and sign–off processes.
- Monitoring and mitigating project risk.
- Motivating and managing project team using effective communication and leadership.
- Identifying and organizing required external support (Verizon & Third Party).
- Understanding/Defining Business Processes and integrated hand offs/dependencies.
- Effectively partnering with the business and IT for successful implementations.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Design and building Data Pipelines to move and process data using modern tools.
- Experience in Data Engineering Architecture / Design.
Even better if you have one or more of the following
- Knowledge of Modern techniques and tool for Data Engineering concepts, especially Data ingestion, Data Quality control, Curate & Enrich, distribute.
- Experience of Data Strategy and Data Architecture.
- Experience in designing and building Data pipeline using at least one traditional ELT/ETL tools (Informatica, BODS/SAP Data Services).
- Experience in traditional RDBMS and engineered appliances like Oracle, SQL server, eHana, Teradata and Cloud databases like BigQuery.
- Experience in at least one cloud platform from AWS, GCP.
- Experience in at Least one prominent programming languages like Python (preferred), Java.
- SME in designing and building high performance data pipelines.
- SME in SQL (advanced).
- Experience in building Data pipeline in native RDBMS languages like Stored Procedures (Oracle PL/SQL, Teradata Stored Procs, Bigquery procs).
- Knowledge of Fast data and slow data.
- Experience of modern data architecture, data engineering techniques and associated tools.
- Experience with Linux, UNIX, Shell scripting.
- Experience of overall data governance concepts.
- Experience in successful delivery of scaled agile.
- Pragmatic approach to business, processes and user needs.
- Strong customer focus and ability to recognize impact of decisions on end users.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to interact with team members and external customers.
- Strong presentation skills to all levels of management; ability to communicate complex concepts in a manner that is understood by the audience.
- Ability to prioritize efforts and tasks in a high volume and fast paced environment.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.