Director, Data Engineering Center For Enablement Lead
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Oversee the expansion of its Data Engineering Center for Enablement (C4E) and lead a team of experienced data engineers responsible for establishing and driving adoption of enterprise tools, accelerators and best practices across BMS. The C4E is key to maturing the data engineering discipline and to delivering modern data solutions in a cloud environment, leveraging AWS Cloud services, Cloudera CDP and other leading-edge commercial or open-source technologies.
This is a great opportunity for a seasoned data engineer leader to further advance BMS capabilities by leveraging emerging technologies and approaches, including AI/ML, to enable delivery of modern data and analytics solutions that help to achieve break-through therapy to patients.
- Span of Control – global, cross functional
- Direct Reports – 2+
- Indirect Reports – 2+
- Budgetary Responsibility – None
- Interacts w/ - Data Scientists/Analysts, Data Teams aligned to business functions, Information/Data Architects, Data Platform Ops & Support Teams, Project Teams delivering data solutions, Technology Partners
- Lead a team of experienced Data and Cloud Engineers to develop and promote re-usable patterns for the ingestion and transformation of data in the Enterprise Data Lake (EDL) and Data Lake Houses, including data transformations, metadata enrichment, data lifecycle, quality, security, and privacy management
- Create and implement the roadmap to advance the Data Engineering C4E
- Deliver data engineer services for ingesting data in the EDL, creating data hubs to integrate and distribute data
- Support data exploration activities conducted by Data Science Teams
- Provide oversight/consultancy to EDL tenants that are building new data solutions
- Enable adoption of FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable) principles and seek opportunities to further enhance the data supply chain to accelerate delivery of analytics use-case scenarios
- Drive adoption of data naming conventions, data definitions (i.e. business glossaries), dictionaries, taxonomy/ontologies and standards for data structures used with the EDL
- Execute appropriate processes and build automation to manage quality and lifecycle of the data and metadata.
- Enable the integration of metadata across the ecosystem for data lakes/data repositories
- Ensure data catalog(s), data lineage and metadata are easily available to users
- Proactively support data quality management by implementing proper data quality checks in data ingestion capabilities and by providing relevant reporting and alerting capabilities
- Create sample code, document best practices, produce practitioner guides and perform training to data scientists and data analysts who are learning how to take advantage of the EDL tool ecosystem
- Participate in the evaluation, selection, and operationalization of new technologies
- Explore and champion the use of AIML to further advance data engineering capabilities
- 8+ years of experience in Data Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in leading a team
- 2+ years of experience working in the pharmaceutical industry
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related preferred.
- Some certifications in Data Engineering.
- Certifications in Data Science and AIML are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability do lead team of highly technical engineers delivering data engineering services and technologies
- Minimum of 8 years of combined hands-on experience with the following techniques and tools:
- Creating data flow documentation and business process modeling
- Performance testing and tuning of data pipelines
- Data integration design and development
- Big Data capability, including understanding of the schema-on-read approach and implications
- Data Virtualization
- Data Mesh approach
- Hands-on experience with Cloudera CDP (Impala, Hive, Spark, Nifi, Kafka), AWS AWS Glue, Athena, Redshift and/or SnowFlake, Databricks. Experience with Modak’s Nabu is a plus
- Hands-on experience with programming languages such as SQL, Python, Scala, Java, R, Unix shell scripts frequently used to build data engineering as well as with related libraries such as PySpark, Pandas, etc
- Building data pipelines and implementing complex data processing using Cloudera CDP, AWS Services, SnowFlake and/or Databricks
- Reporting and visualization tools like Tableau, Spotfire, Microstrategy.
- Machine Learning applied to data engineering
- Agile and iterative Data Modeling with ability to incorporate proven data modeling patterns that provide flexibility.
- Data governance and data lifecycle management
- Data Quality profiling/management techniques and tools e.g. Informatica IDQ
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Agile and DevOps Methodologies
- Other required experience and attributes:
- Experience with working in a matrixed organization
- Experience with leading a team
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, influence, facilitation, and negotiation
- Problem solver with having demonstrated the ability to “think out of the box”.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Explain complex technical issues in simple, business-friendly language
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and be respected as a leader
- Capability for being thoughtful, extroverted and collaborative
- Motivation that is focused on long-term results
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.