Principal Data Scientist - Ethical Artificial Intelligence Strategy ( 577000-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a in a multidisciplinary team, you will bring your intellectual curiosity, empathy, passion and strong analytical skills to develop new best practices to further facilitate Verizon’s ethical and responsible use of AI.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At hundred and thirty billion dollars plus in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that this candidate possess previous experience in research and validation of AI and data science techniques.
- Work collaboratively with different stakeholders to support and drive the formation and implementation of Verizon’s ethical AI vision, best practices, policies, and guidelines.
- Stay informed on the latest ethical AI trends in both industry and academia, updates of laws/policies/regulations, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing these to our specific problem space.
- Engage with teams across Verizon, develop strong trust and relationships, and identify opportunities to make further impact on Verizon’s ethical and responsible use of AI.
- Develop and deliver internal ethical AI training programs to enhance awareness
- Support establishing, conveying and maintaining a powerful Verizon ethical AI brand.
What we’re looking for...
You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive in an environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid speed. You’re a creative thinker who likes to explore, and uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are great at influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction in mentoring others.
You’ll need to have:
- In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of professional industry experience.
- Knowledge about ethical AI and ability to keep abreast of the latest developments in the field.
- Knowledge of data science and machine learning technologies.
- Experience of working with data scientists and engineers.
- Communication skills, both written and verbal.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree or PHD in mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering, computer science, or economics.
- Experience with data wrangling and modeling.
- Team player and ability to work collaboratively with and through others at different levels in an organization.
- Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges.
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work in ambiguous situations.
- Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
- Experience of change management principle and methodologies.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).