Principal Data Scientist ( 577356-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Principal Data Scientist, you’ll use deep technical expertise in data science, forecasting and optimization methods and experience with implementation of AI in commercial applications. You will focus on developing and delivering machine learning and time series models and optimization solutions that drive business forecast, workforce optimization, operation efficiency and business innovation.
You’ll work closely with the business partners and the entire data scientist community at Verizon in proactively designing and developing AI capabilities. These AI capabilities will include predictive, prescriptive and adaptive applications for all predictions and inferences at Verizon. Models will typically get implemented on premise, in cloud and/or on the edge and in both real-time and batch mode depending upon the business applications.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At hundred and thirty billion dollars plus in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that you possess previous experience in the development and implementation of data science models and forecasting and optimization solutions.
- Partner with key business stakeholders to develop AI strategy and roadmap and develop and execute plans to deliver business results.
- Develop the next generation of AI that drives innovation, accurate business forecasting, lower operating expenses and increased efficiency, and business growth.
- Independently design, develop, and deliver AI solutions from E2E.
- Operate as an expert within Verizon and serve as trusted advisor to our business partners.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing these to our specific problem space.
- Help establish best practices and governance routines to ensure adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and bias.
- Bring relevant data science techniques, algorithms, and tools to your team and develop tools for accelerating AI Industrialization.
- Mentor and coach junior data scientists in their career development and technical knowledge and skills.
- Help attract, recruit and retain top data science and AI talent and build a diverse team with an inclusive culture.
What we’re looking for...
You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive in an environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid speed. You’re a creative problem solver who loves to explore, and uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are phenomenal at influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction in mentoring others. Communicating what you’ve uncovered in a way that can be easily understood by others is one of your strengths.
You’ll need to have:
- In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
- A Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.Coding experience with demonstrated expertise in Python, java, R, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of AI/ML models, time series analysis, and optimization techniques.
- Experience developing models and algorithms independently, writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic experimentation, and deploying in production.
- Experience with both batch and streaming models in production.
- Experience with Hadoop, AWS, GCP, or other distributed compute services.
- Knowledge of data structures, data modeling and software architecture skills.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Operation Research or similar field.
- Ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used in algorithms/models.
- Communication skills, critical thinking, and strategic thinking skills above and beyond the technical knowledge and commercial application experience.
- Cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).