Principal Data Scientist ( 586595-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
In this role you’ll drive profitable growth and business innovation by applying cutting-edge machine learning techniques and AI technology. As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll lead data science projects that drive product personalization, marketing effectiveness, channel optimization, better customer experience, and operational efficiency. You’ll work with a team of talented data scientists, Big Data engineers, and software developers as you play a key role in developing and delivering the next generation AI/ML solutions to the business.
You’ll work closely with the business stakeholders to understand problems, and you’ll design the data-driven analytics solutions and implement those using statistical methods, machine learning models, and Big Data technologies. You will explore and incorporate data from variety of disparate data sources with the goal of discovering insights or improving efficiency and accuracy of modeling solutions. You’ll create and oversee the deployment of Machine Learning models to predict customer behavior and business events. You’ll then present the results to various business partners such as marketing, finance, and our customer relationship management group.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At hundred and thirty billion dollars plus in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that you possess previous experience in the development and implementation of data science models and forecasting and optimization solutions.
Other responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Leading engagements with key business stakeholders in discussions on business strategies and opportunities.
- Building strong working relationship and developing deep partnerships with the business.
- Leading large portfolios of data science projects and delivering innovative technical solutions to solve problems and improve business outcomes.
- Leading the design and development of machine learning/statistical models and ensure best performance.
- Working closely with engineers to deploy models in production both in real-time and in batch process and systematically track model performance.
- Serving as a subject matter expert on machine learning and predictive modeling, and as a mentor to junior data scientists.
- Driving technical innovation through active research and applications of new theories, techniques, and technologies.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
With an eye towards improving performance and predictability, you like the science of analytics. Developing resolutions to complex problems, using your sharp judgment to develop methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria enables you to deliver solutions that make a big impact. You’re able to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences, and you take pride in your ability to share your considerable knowledge with your peers.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience practicing machine learning/data science in business.
- Experience leading large-scale data science projects and delivering from end-to-end.
- Experience with machine learning and statistical modeling.
- Experience with computing/programming skills including in Python, Spark and Linux shell script
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Master's degree or a Ph.D. in Statistics, Math, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Data Science, or related field.
- Experience with Deep Learning technologies (Tensorflow/Pytorch/Keras).
- Experience with NLP and chatbot technology is a plus.
- Expertise in data management and data analysis in relational database and in Hadoop.
- Strong communication and interpersonal influencing skills.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Solid foundational quantitative knowledge and skills, coupled with extensive training in mathematics, statistics, the physical sciences, engineering, or other related fields.
- Deep technical expertise in machine learning and statistical modeling.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).