Principal Data Scientist ( 587192-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Artificial Intelligence & Data (AI&D) Organization is an exciting new center of excellence supporting all of Verizon, reporting into the Global Network & Technology (GN&T) team. Our team will be a catalyst to Verizon's future in creating networks that move the world forward through the power of artificial intelligence and data.
In this role you’ll buildtools, analyze, and provide insights that inform, quantify, and enable the visualization of data to drive business decisions for all of Verizon’s networks. With your analytical, big data, and reporting expertise, you’ll deliver business value through business intelligence reporting and analytics by driving insights to actions. One way you will accomplish this is by developing analytical views of data utilizing various BI tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, and web-based applications. You’ll also connect various data locations to stage data before visualizations. The business insights and recommendations you provide will help to improve performance.
You will work with a team to create the artificial intelligence roadmap for GN&T Planning and Engineering, as well as implementing and delivering use cases. You’ll partner with and leverage the strength of our internal Data Science center as well as with vendor partners. You’ll lead data science projects that drive digital sales and service, product recommendation and personalization, marketing effectiveness, channel optimization, better customer experiences, and operational efficiency. You’ll work closely with a team of data scientists, big data engineers, and software developers and will play a key role in developing and delivering the next generation artificial intelligence/machine learning solutions that generate substantial value for the business. You’ll manage a pipeline of AI use cases from ideation to implementation.
- Acting as a thought leader and forward-leaning partner with your business team to shape, prioritize, and deliver strategy for the business unit across data governance, data architecture, and AI/ML.
- Partnering with the business to ensure our organization’s strategy is aligned and supportive of wider business unit strategic goals.
- Partnering with technology, security, legal, and privacy to ensure a strategy for the business is also defined in the context of the overall group strategy.
- Designing, developing, implementing, and overseeing high-end analytical/technology processes and solutions with a focus on leveraging advanced machine learning and artificial intelligence methods.
- Performing ad-hoc analyses and developing reproducible analytical approaches to meet business requirements.
- Performing exploratory and targeted data analyses using descriptive statistics and other methods.
- Presenting results and recommendations to senior management and business users.
- Strategizing, coordinating, detailing, resource planning and defining scope on multiple projects with evolving timelines in various stages of completion.
- Leading collaboration with business leads and IT to execute all visual design phases from concept and requirements to final hand-off to business unit end-users.
- Conducting and ensuring user acceptance testing with IT for database and applications prior to production release to include software testing, quality assurance, and solution certification and approval.
- Establishing and promoting our brand standards and best practices and across business units and IT.
- Detailing and demonstrating solutions by developing wireframes, production documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, and models.
- Reviewing existing visualizations to assess existing opportunities for improvement within the business and to drive an outstanding User Interface solution.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in applying statistical ideas and methods to data sets to answer business problems.
- Experience with Python, Spark, and SQL to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience with developing insights, presenting, and influencing strategic decisions using data.
Even better if you have:
- MBA or Master’s degree in statistics, mathematics, analytics, engineering, computer science, or another technical and/or financial discipline.
- Experience with Big Data architecture and mining for insights across various data sources.
- Experience using ETL (extract, transform, load) tools and experience with large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
- Knowledge of data warehouse and data lake technology (Teradata, Hadoop, No SQL, graph DB).
- Solid understanding of 4GLTE/5G Technologies, IP Networking, RF/SP engineering tools / principles.
- Technical knowledge of improving system performance, capacity, reliability and scalability of the network.
- Knowledge of existing network processes from plan, build, and operate (e.g., supply chain, real estate).
- The ability to analyze complex data sets, draw conclusions and relationships and develop actionable recommendations including presenting to senior FP&A leadership.
- The ability to effectively communicate actionable insights to category leads supporting their goals and objectives.
- The ability to prepare executive-level presentations to clearly articulate results of complex mathematical analysis through strategic storytelling.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $108,000 and $200,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).