Distinguished Data Scientist ( 587193-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Artificial Intelligence & Data (AI&D) Organization is an exciting new center of excellence supporting all of Verizon, reporting into the Global Network & Technology team. Our team will be a catalyst to Verizon's future in creating networks that move the world forward through the power of Artificial Intelligence & Data.
You will be joining a high profile, high visibility team that powers analytics, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning and strategic thinking for Verizon. You will lead a team that builds tools, analyses, and insights that informs, quantifies, and enables the visualization of data to drive business decisions for all of Verizon’s Networks. You will work with a team to create the Artificial Intelligence roadmap for Global Network and Technology’s Network Planning and Network Engineering teams as well as implement and deliver high-value use cases. You will partner with and leverage the strength of our AI Center as well as vendor partners. You will lead data science projects that drive product recommendation & personalization, marketing effectiveness, channel optimization, better customer experience, and operational efficiency. You will work closely with a team of data scientists, data engineers, and AI/ML engineers, and play a key role in developing and delivering the next generation Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning solutions that generate substantial value for Verizon.
You will manage a pipeline of AI use cases from ideation to implementation. Specifically, this position will have a broad scope of leading emerging AI and Data technology introductions (e.g., Network Core, Edge and Radio Access Network Digital Twin creation) with a specialized emphasis on advancements that leverages advancement of our radio access network (RAN), fiber network and core networks (e.g., Energy Optimization, 5G network slicing, Quality of Service optimization).
- Act as a thought leader and act as a forward-leaning partner with your business team to shape, prioritize, and deliver strategy for the business unit across data governance, data architecture, and AI/ML.
- Vision creation and execution for unified simulation platform integration of Network digital twin work streams, including telemetry data, asset data, performance data and prescriptive recommendations.
- Lead the strategy and introduction of emerging technologies to drive new product capabilities on Verizon networks utilizing AI & Data, and will lead the introduction of emerging technology into wide-scale deployment across Verizon.
- Vision creation and execution for integrated digital twin use cases across Network including Core, Edge, Fiber and Radio Access Networks as well as integration with Consumer and Business Digital Twins through collaborative efforts across enablement and engagement teams.
- Analyze emerging trends within universities, standards bodies and research communities that impact the AI&D products and services on our existing and future network architecture.
- Apply advancements within our networks to drive innovative products and solutions leading to major cost savings and/or new revenue opportunities across Network teams.
- Collaborate with data engineering, data warehousing, data governance, data management engineers and business stakeholders to drive innovation.
- Design, develop, implement, and oversee high-end analytical/technology processes and solutions with a focus on leveraging advanced machine learning and artificial intelligence methods.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and develop reproducible analytical approaches to meet business requirements.
- Perform exploratory and targeted data analyses using descriptive statistics and other methods.
- Present results and recommendations to senior management and business users.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of equivalent work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in applying statistical ideas and methods to data sets to answer business problems.
- Experience with Python, Spark, and SQL to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience with developing insights, presenting, and influencing strategic decisions using data.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- MBA, Master’s degree or equivalent in business, statistics, mathematics, analytics, engineering, computer science, or another technical and/or financial discipline.
- Knowledge of 4G/5G Technologies, IP Networking, RF engineering tools / principles.
- Technical knowledge of improving system performance, capacity, reliability and scalability of networks.
- Strong understanding of Digital Twins.
- Strong understanding of data science, data management and data analytics.
- Experience with data architecture and mining for insights across multiple data sources.
- Experience using ETL (extract, transform, load) tools and experience with large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
- Knowledge of data warehouse and data lake technology (Teradata, Hadoop, No SQL, Graph DBs).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).