Healthcare Data Scientist - Remote
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Healthcare Data Scientist will support Enterprise Clinical Services business strategy to produce innovative solutions driven by exploratory data analysis from unstructured, diverse datasets typically measured in gigabytes or larger. Applies knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries leading to prototype development and product improvement. Uses a flexible, analytical approach to design, develop, and evaluate predictive and prescriptive models and advanced algorithms that lead to optimal value extraction from the data. Works with analytics and statistical software such as SQL, R, Python, Hadoop, and others to perform analysis and interpret data. This function is not intended for employees performing the following work: less complex analysis on small data sets; rules-based algorithmic or descriptive analytics; development of big data infrastructure.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Inform and advise the clinical operation functions with empirical analyses that drive strategy with respect to key projects
- Communicate complex analyses to Leaders across the organization effectively without getting bogged down in the details of the analysis. Present a clear story of these analyses in effective Executive presentations
- For several key projects, guide the requirements and their prioritization. Act as an advisor to investigate, identify signals, technical assessments and analytically assess the impacts to our key operating metrics
- Identify new programs (supported by evidence) that need to be undertaken and transformative initiatives that help reduce our cost structure for the long-term
- Collaborate with team to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions
- Mine and analyze data from a host of data sources to drive optimization and improvement of product development and business strategies
- End-to-end analytics pipeline that includes Data Sourcing, Cleansing, Engineering, Modeling, and Interpretation - Proposes innovative ways to analyze and solve problems by using data mining approaches on available information
- Continue to adapt to changes based on emergence of new technologies, new competitors, artificial intelligence, and alternative sources of data
- Self-motivated and demonstrates an innate ability to absorb new concepts, technical frameworks, programming paradigms while employing them creatively to solve complex analytical problems
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Information Systems, Computer Science, Statistics related field or equivalent experience in Technology or Analytics or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of data analysis experience
- Experience working with huge volumes of data (hundreds of millions of observations)
- 5+ years of coding experience in at least 1 of the following:
- Disparate relational databases and schemas experience
- Solid presentation and communication skills with ability to develop high level executive as well deep-dive technical presentations
Already Fortune 5, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada/New York City residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.