Cloud Optimization Data Scientist
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive in an environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid speed. You’re a creative thinker who likes to explore and uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are great at influencing up, down and across groups and you take satisfaction in mentoring others. Communicating what you’ve uncovered in a way that can be easily understood by others is one of your strengths. You have strong experience managing a project delivery pipeline and implementing analytical models in production by collaborating with partner teams (CRISP-DM or similar). We are looking for an innovative data scientist to improve the cloud infrastructure and application utilization efficiency of VCP. The position is responsible for developing end-to-end large-scale models, starting with complex distributed data processing, creating an analysis framework, developing custom complex visualization tools, and deploying web applications.
- Identifying opportunities and delivering tangible business outcomes that improve cloud infrastructure and VNF/CNF application efficiency.
- Leading discussions with business clients on large-scale solution requests and begin determining data requirements and statistical methodologies.
- Designing and implementing processes and layouts for complex, large-scale data sets used for modeling, data mining, and research purposes, implementing standard processes for peers to utilize.
- Designing and building large and complex data sets, from spurious sources while thinking strategically about the uses of data and how data interacts with the design.
- Developing end-to-end large-scale models, starting with complex distributed data processing, creating an analysis framework, developing custom complex visualization tools, and deploying web applications.
- Developing and implementing standardized models and procedures for other data scientists and teams to utilize for future projects and designs.
- Designing and implementing large-scale statistical data quality procedures around new data sources.
- Developing and designing data validation and updating procedures for teams to utilize
- Visualizing and reporting data findings creatively in a variety of visual formats that appropriately provides insights to the organization.
- Driving continuous improvement to the company's models, leveraging the latest industry knowledge and methods on AI and data science.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in applying AI/ML modelling and understanding of algorithms (Classification, Regression etc.) to datasets to answer business problems.
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure architecture and virtualized/containerized network function application architecture.
- Knowledge of scheduling techniques and utilization efficiencies for cloud infrastructure resources (CPU, memory, network, and storage).
- Experience in Python and SQL.
- Experience in Linux, OpenStack or OpenShift/Kubernetes environments.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, Computer science, or Economics.
- Understanding of data warehouse and data lake technology (S3, Oracle, GCP).
- Experience in Tableau, Grafana, Looker, or similar visual analysis tool to develop visually compelling interactive dashboards.
- Knowledge of Design patterns and ability in creating and managing REST APIs.
- Experience in version control, continuous integration, and continuous delivery concepts.
- Experience in tools like GCP, Starburst/Trino, Apache Airflow, Apache NiFi, GitLab.
- Proficiency in Dask/Ray/Spark and JupyterLab.
- Good creative and innovative problem-solving skills.
"If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every "even better" qualification listed above."
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a California work location, the compensation range for this position is between $149,000 and $276,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.