Senior Manager Digital Engineering PPM Lead
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Project Manager role is aligned with the R&ED IT Organization, supporting the Portfolio Manager, Business Partner(s) and working closely with project stakeholders. The Project Manager will have primary responsibility for managing and driving effective and efficient execution of selected projects assigned by the Portfolio Delivery Lead, in collaboration with all members of the project teams. The Project Manager role is highly customer-service focused and should be perceived as such.
The Scrum Master/Project Manager will be required to:
- Champion and embody the Agile way-of-life across the scrum teams
- Facilitate Scrum and scaled agile cadence: Release Planning, Sprint Events, MetaScrum & SoS (Scrum of Scrum) as guided by Scrum Inc.
- Actively guard sprint goals and improve team velocity
- Manage RAID logs: Proactively identify risks before they impede team performance and collaborate with team to develop mitigation plans.
- Provide timely, accurate, and actionable information to project stakeholders in a structured and transparent way.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement and self-organization within the team
- Active management of impediments & dependencies and its escalation to LAT (Leadership action team)
- Drive knowledge sharing and learning
- Supporting the team through servant leadership and leading by example
- Financial management – Cost plan, processing expenses, Forecast & Actuals, Variances
- Experience in dealing with external partners, vendors and internal collaboration
- Experience in establishing good relationship with business stakeholders and other Scrum teams
- Understand the projects managed
- Learn the project objectives and detailed business requirements to provide continuity of vision and understanding across the team throughout the full lifecycle of the project or program
- Become knowledgeable about the solution architecture, data and services to be used to effectively:
- Identify, track and actively manage dependencies, working closely with the Portfolio Manager on any cross-team dependencies
- Proactively anticipate, track and mitigate project-related issues and risks
- Build and update project charters, which should be considered living documents to be updated as plans, budgets, resources and scope change
- Develop Communication Plan/Operating Cadence to ensure appropriate team engagement
- Review and screen resumes for external vendor-supplied resources
- Conduct planning meetings, workshops with project core and extended team members and develop a project schedule to ensure complete delivery schedule; obtain team buy-in and baseline
- Develop a RACI to establish clear roles and responsibilities
- Communicate baseline schedule and important milestones to each stakeholder, set expectations as to their responsibilities and provide reminders as appropriate to ensure project progress per the baseline schedule
- Follow SDLC processes, gates and procedures and PMO best practices for managing projects (which include the change control process needed to capture data around reasons for change)
- Unblock or escalate issues to the Portfolio Manager in a timely manner; then drive and own mitigation
- Proactively review the health of projects from various perspectives (feedback from key team members, past trends, project retrospectives, etc.) and take corrective measures to ensure successful project delivery
- Anticipate and manage risks, issues and dependencies
- Communicate with the Portfolio Manager and associated Business Partner frequently regarding changes in project status and ensure that data is kept up to date in the EPM system. Provide transparency into project status, accomplishments, issues and risks, and next steps on a regular cadence set by the Portfolio Manager, with event-driven updates as needed
- Make Project Retrospectives a routine, periodic activity during the project lifecycle; capture and communicate to the team and to the larger community using the Lessons Learned process and database
- Work closely with the Portfolio Manager and solution architects to give the IT build and run teams early visibility into upcoming demand related to the projects managed
- Ensure the quality and on time delivery of SDLC artifacts and documents related to projects managed, as well as timely execution of SDLC gate check processes
- Coordinate cost estimation and track project-related accruals, budgets, forecasts and forecast revisions. Responsible for Purchase Orders, as well as updating and reconciling actual financials, and tracking expenses incurred; these activities may be delegated to a PMO project financial specialist in some cases, but responsibility for oversight is retained by the Project Manager *
Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the Portfolio Manager, Program Managers and PMO Operations to identify and promote best practices and continuous improvement in PMO processes, systems, tools and reports
- In some cases, on larger projects, project coordinators may be assigned to projects and functionally report to the Project Manager for the duration of the project
- Clearly understand the business requirements (as stated above) and actively participate in pre-UAT activities and observe UAT execution for all projects
- Review Requests for Proposal and Statements of Work for projects and ensure accuracy, and that best practices and policies are being followed *
- Work closely with Sourcing and Vendor Management on contracts*
- Proactively seek lessons learned from other PMO staff, as well as from the PMO Lessons Learned database for projects like those you are managing
- Conduct project level “lessons learned” and retrospective activities and complete or coordinate resulting action items, and add to the PMO Lessons Learned database as appropriate for the benefit of future projects
- Elicit project priorities from the Business Partner and business clients, and be prepared to adjust in an entrepreneurial environment where priorities may change swiftly
- Work with the Portfolio Manager to train Stakeholders and ensure Stakeholder understanding, commitment and resourcing is in place for projects to progress successfully
* Employee activities only
- Actively use PMO compliance reports to ensure project data is accurate and timely, updated weekly (at a minimum) and on an event-driven basis as changes occur
- Establish and manage the project team sites for projects managed
- Lead project team meetings and ensure that team meeting minutes are taken, accurate and available for team review. Action items from these meetings are the responsibility of the Project Manger to assign to the appropriate owners, and to ensure actions are closed in a timely manner
- Lead and promote effective and clear communication for the benefit of the projects managed
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in Project Management Office, SDLC and governance best practices
- Understanding of software development and configuration processes, including requirements gathering, analysis/design, planning, development tools/technologies, testing methodologies, release/version control, deployment management, disaster recovery planning and testing, post-production hardening, and transition to run operations
- A track record of high quality, successful, on time and on budget delivery of projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Waterfall and understanding of Agile and hybrid development methodologies
- Proven track record working with and managing external vendors
- Strong presence and drive
- Ability to set and manage Business Sponsor and Stakeholder expectations
- Effectively at organizing and motivating diverse teams to achieve goals
- Manage conflict and roadblocks well
- Experience running status meetings and effectively holding team members accountable for status, deliverables and timely escalation of blockers
- Exemplify a highly collaborative mindset and client service-focus
- Actively anticipate, track and plan for risks and issues, dependencies, resourcing and contingencies
- Business Partner and business client-facing presence
- Build strong relationships and gain trust
- Understand business requirements and the value proposition for projects
- Work closely and collaboratively with members of the PMO and project teams
- Communicate status, risks, dependencies and issues effectively
- Escalate issues in a manner that is effective, collaborative and respectful
- Demonstrate an analytical and objective strategic mindset
- Willingness to identify and surface opportunities for positive change
- Develop an in-depth understanding of technology solutions implemented and business value
- Hands-on experience with commercial Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) tools
- Experience using producing high-quality management reports
- Expertise with MS Project
- Understanding of the principles of finance, accrual accounting and cost benefit analysis (e.g., capitalized and expensed costs, accruals, opportunity costs, soft and hard dollar benefits, payback, ROI, NPV, etc.)
- 10+ years of experience in Information Technology, with progressively increasing responsibilities in project management
- Experience with PPM tools and BI management reporting
- Expertise in MS Projects
- Agile CSM or PSM Certification
- Training and experience with Agile development practices
- Pharmaceutical, biotech or regulated industry experience
- Experience in a similar IT/PMO organization
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.