Manager, Software Engineering (100433)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Manager, Software Engineering is accountable to lead a team of software engineers in the successful delivery of software products and solutions. This individual drives the technical design, architecture, and implementation of software products. This role leads the development, QA, and deployment of software products from design to launch.
This individual ensures all software engineering team members (FTE and partner) align with project/product management and stakeholders to define the roadmaps, plan and report on technical dependencies for software products within their software product domain. This role drives strong partnerships among software engineers, various other technology teams, product/project managers and UI/UX designers.
The software engineering manager drives all aspects of the software engineering lifecycle from design to development to testing to release for the products in their domain. This includes ensuring optimal development lifecycle processes, documentation, and rigor ensuring reliable, repeatable, scalable solutions. This individual drives the integration of materials, methods, and tools necessary to bring new software products to the company portfolio. This role will also contribute to the overall architecture and design of all custom developed software solutions as a leader within our broader software engineering community of practice.
This individual will lead collaboration with internal and external resources to ensure that the software engineering team resolves software release issues. This role ensures adherence to patterns and practices associated with delivering cutting edge software solutions to include web-based applications – both internal and customer facing – ensuring all solutions are aligned to and utilize industry standard development tools.Key Accountabilities
- Lead, grow and motivate software engineers
- Contribute to the development and revision of engineering standards and processes
- Introduce best practices for software, product engineering and delivery, establishing new processes and overhauling existing processes as needed
- Lead collaboration with various business teams to meet business and customer requirements
- Provide technical leadership and consultations to project / product managers
- Contribute to overall developed software solutions strategy
- In partnership with DevSecOps, Infrastructure and support teams, drive and mature release management, scaled agile, consistent metrics and efficient
- Contribute to the scalability and efficiency of associated software infrastructure
- Establish continuous improvement efforts to ensure the engineered solutions are innovative and industry leading while ensuring overall business value
- Establish test procedures for quality assurance of finished solutions
- Stimulate hiring, training, coaching, mentoring as well as performance reviews for Software Engineering teams
- Manage joint development with third party vendors as well as outsourced development
- Expert in software engineering with exposure to various methodologies, techniques, and coding languages
- Expert in reliability testing, reliability methodologies, and basic failure analysis principles and techniques
- Ability to lead software product characterization and qualifications efforts
- Ability to lead and foster a collaborative team environment
- Leading assigned projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Strong interpersonal and presentation abilities required – both oral and written, with the ability to articulate and educate others about complex and new technology
- Strong analytic work methodology and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively at all levels in the organization
- Strategic skills to develop long term visions and the ability to translate them into actionable roadmaps that are broadly accepted
- Proven track record of successful team leadership and development
- Positive “glass half-full” attitude, pleasant to work with, focused on customer satisfaction
- Detail oriented
- Proactive, persistent, passionate, creative, flexible, and dependable
- Strong customer and user experience focus
- Good presentation skills engaging a variety of audiences potentially up to the ELT
- Over 7 years of experience in Software Engineering in complex / matrix environments
- 3+ years of leadership experience, preferably running software engineering teams
- Architecture experience leading the buildout and deployment of software products in an agile manner
- Preferred Experience:
- Experience leading both internal and customer facing transactional web-based software solutions
- Experience working closely with UI/UX designers
- Experience working with global partners/service providers
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science / Information Technology / Information Systems / Accounting or Business or related field of Engineering
- Masters or MBA preferred
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.