Sr Engr Cslt-DevOps ( 580345-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon Connect is guiding a connected world on the go by automating, optimizing and revolutionizing the way people, vehicles and things move through the world. Our full suite of industry-defining solutions and services put innovation, automation and connected data to work for customers and help them be safer, more efficient and more productive. With more than 3,500 dedicated employees in 15 countries, we deliver leading mobile technology platforms and solutions. As a SaaS leader, we know our talent is the most important component to our success. We hire top talent and empower them to do their best work. As a division of Verizon, we combine the fun and excitement of a start-up environment with the resources, operational excellence, and brand recognition of an established tech giant.
Verizon Connect has an immediate need for a Production Database Administrator to join our Dublin based team within Global Database Services. This DBA role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in a prompt & efficient manor, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
- Owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests across the following database platforms (SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL).
- Fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs.
- Reviewing service-related reports (e.g. database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure operational issues are identified and resolved promptly.
- Responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with database engineering to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
- Enhancing automation for database platform provision process.
- Enhancing database monitoring & alerting platforms to ensure proactive alerting is always achieved.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel.
- Knowledge of SQL Server data stores: row store and column store, optimizations.
- Advanced knowledge of indexes, index management, index design, index optimizations and index statistics.
- Knowledge of SQL Server partitioning and file and filegroup design.
- Knowledge of SQL Server performance tuning, especially around stored procedures.
- Knowledge of SQL Server database upgrades (DB Engines & Compatibility levels).
- Knowledge of SQL Server H/A Solutions.
- Knowledge of query and query parallelism in SQL Server.
- Knowledge of Change Data Capture.
- Knowledge of Column Store index and Column Store query optimizations.
- Knowledge of SQL Server DMO’s especially around statistics, data store and performance.
- Knowledge of SQL Server settings and database setting and the impact on performance.
- Experience with Database Administration in general for MSSQL Server on both on-premise & cloud platforms (AWS preferred).
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving general database problems in a high transaction VLDB platform.
- Experience in database source control and deployments. Examples: SVN, Git, TFS, Flyway
- Experience in testing/validating database components.
- Experience with monitoring either native or via 3rd party.
- Knowledge of provisioning environments in AWS on RDS Aurora PostgreSQL using automation.
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL Monitoring & Alerting.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting & performance reviewing issues with PgSQL
- Knowledge of provisioning environments in AWS on RDS Native & Aurora MySQL using Automation.
- Experience in Partitioning & Partition Maintenance on RDS MySQL.
- Knowledge of MySQL Monitoring & Alerting.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting & performance reviewing issues with MySQL.
Even better if you have:
- Experience with PostgreSQL & MySQL in an AWS environment, especially RDS Aurora implementations.
- Experience with ownership & management of ElasticSearch in AWS.
- Experience in working as part of a geographically dispersed team.
- Ability to learn new technologies and scripting languages.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high volume, agile environment.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and innovation.
- Experience in mentoring junior team members as part of their technical upskilling.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).