Senior DevOps Engineer ( 585050-1E )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and the best.
Verizon Location Technology (VLT) sits at the core of the Strategy and New Business Development organization and is a critical part of driving innovation across our global customer base both inside and outside Verizon. Backed by more than 50 years of location-based expertise, we are building solutions that leverage the power of location intelligence to inform technologies like 5G, Multi-Access Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today.
Want to build the infrastructure and automation that fuels the foundation of our location platform? Want to enable development teams to more easily release critical features to production? Are you passionate about DevOps as a philosophy as well as a practice and want to drive the future of the discipline at Verizon Location Services? We’re looking for engineers who are passionate about DevOps, cloud infrastructure, operations, automation, and building industry leading products.
- Support our development teams by building, maintaining, and scaling infrastructure to support applications that are used by millions of users as well as backend systems that serve billions of requests per day.
- Simplify and improve processes for deploying new features and functionality to market; connecting the necessary pieces to create efficient continuous integration-style workflows.
- Monitor the performance of systems in a cloud based computing environment, including overall system health, reliability, performance, and cost. Remediate gaps in monitoring or performance testing if observed. Support our development teams by assisting with testing and monitoring strategies.
- Collaborate with Software Engineers and System Architects to provide an operations perspective; ensuring issues like cost, scalability, and maintainability are considered during the design process.
- Mentor Software Engineers on basic operational principles through demos, documentation, and one-on-one mentorship as well as participating in team discussions and planning sessions.
- Research and recommend new technologies and emerging operational practices; recommend services and practices that could be leveraged as business needs arise.
- Participate in team on-call rotation.
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You will need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or moreyears of experience in a DevOps environment.
- Experience working in a cloud based environment such as AWS.
- Create necessary Infrastructure as Code to define and maintain computing environment.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Chef or Ansible.
- Experience with build and deploy automation using tools like Jenkins.
- Experience with containers and orchestration tools like Docker, Kubernetes, and Helm.
- Experience with managing relational databases like PostgreSQL.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Scripting ability with Bash or other languages such as Groovy, Python, or Ruby.
- Curiosity and desire to expand your breadth of knowledge by taking on unfamiliar tasks outside of usual area of expertise.
- Passion, a thoughtful approach to solving complex problems, and a constant desire to raise the bar.
- Challenge your coworkers in the office to foosball, ping pong and darts.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).