Sr. DevOps Engineer ( 586671-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Sr. DevOps Engineer, you will take active role in leading the design and architecture of the Skyward Software Platform to ensure Engineering efficiency and that Skyward’s customers have a great experience using the Platform as they run their drone businesses around the world. You will use a variety of automation and monitoring technologies and tools to architect, build, maintain, and monitor the infrastructure for the Skyward Software Platform. You will provide production support as required including debugging and responding to production issues. You will ensure the infrastructure security meets Skyward policies.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to design and implement application builds, application releases, deployment and configuration tasks.
- Manage and operate Kubernetes.
- Linux server management from the command line and using web-based console tools such as Amazon's AWS console.
- Develop automation scripts to automate the creation and maintenance of environments.
- Implement monitoring tools and solutions to provide visibility into the infrastructure and application performance.
- Assist with solving system problems using dumps, traces, or other diagnostics aids.
- Automate the installation of applications, programs, and system components to minimize customer downtime.
- Participate in sprint planning and code review with Agile teams.
- Look for opportunities for continual improvements in infrastructure and processes.
- Ensure a scalable process and infrastructure with a focus on high availability.
- Ensure that infrastructure, operations, and application security standards are enforced.
- Adapt to changing and evolving business priorities by offering options and constructive ideas on how to achieve the goals given the realities of time and resources.
- Enhance organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Provide timely estimates of on-going progress and transparency of work using tools like Jira along with daily stand-ups.
- Keep abreast of technology trends and best practice with the ability to share those findings with the team.
- Adhere to the standards of the team while also looking for opportunities to improve on team processes.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker containers.
- Experience with Automated Infrastructure Testing (Test Kitchen, InSpec, ServerSpec, etc.)
- AWS Certification.
- Two or more years of experience as a DevOps Engineer.
- Two or more years of experience with scripting tools and technologies.
- One or more year of experience managing AWS environments.
- Experience with continuous integration application delivery, including provisioning, deployment, testing and version control.
- Experience with Infrastructure automation tooling (Terraform, Packer, Salt/Chef/Puppet, etc.)
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team.
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to embrace change and work in an iterative development environment.
- Ability to develop a deep understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customer needs.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Experience flying drones for business or pleasure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).