2024 Summer Intern: User Experience (UX) Designer
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
User experience designers create human-centered experiences by designing the structural and informational foundation for products, services, and systems. They facilitate the delivery of all elements, interactions, and decisions that add value to the total user experience.
Start and end dates for this internship are during summer 2024 (3 months)
"May - August" or "June - September" for quarter system schools.
When working in this abstract, fast pace and continuously changing tech world, resilience, commitment, and curiosity serve as the foundation for success as an IBM Designer.
In your role, you will be supported by mentors and coaches who will encourage you to challenge the norm, investigate ideas outside of your role, and come up with creative solutions resulting in ground-breaking impact for the wider business, our external clients, & their customers. Our culture of flexibility and freedom are pillars that embrace long-term career growth and learning opportunities in an environment that highlights your unique skills and experience.
Who You Are:
- Highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
- Thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to learn new skills quickly and use the skills efficiently.
The positions are IBM US Office-based, including the below locations. Opportunities in these locations will vary based on demand. Limited opportunities available in our CA office.
San Jose, CA
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Interpreting research insights and building understanding of users and context
- Defining user experience goals and design principles
- Applying knowledge of psychological and physical attributes of humans (e.g. Hick's Law, Fitt's Law)
- Designing the architecture of the functions and information of the experience
- Designing the interaction patterns between functions/information and users/customers
- Designing pathways of navigation through an experience; demonstrating understanding of content, functions, and relationships within the system
- Supporting and planning for variation of user contexts (e.g. culture, environment, and activity)
- Converging and translating technological, operational, and functional constraints into human-centered opportunities
- Facilitating and designing for the relational aspects across every part of the experience
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Awareness of inclusive design practices and accessibility standards
- Familiarity with design systems
- Degree in User Experience Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Information Architecture, or related field
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM