Distribution Designer ( R-00047924 )
Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Distribution Designer for electric utility design engineering.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include new business and reliability designs. Work packages will be developed using MicroStation, Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
Training will be provided by Leidos as needed.
- High School diploma required and less than 1 year of prior relevant experience. Associates or BS Degree in Engineering Technology is preferred. Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
- (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Familiarity with PoleForeman, SAP, MicroStation
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Field Inspections
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
PowerDeliveryExternal Referral Bonus:IneligiblePotential for Telework:Yes, 75%Clearance Level Required:NoneTravel:Yes, 25% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Engineering TechnologistPay Range: