Director, Technology Strategy ( 599755-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon seeks a new leader to build an open-source program office to connect and support open source culture across the enterprise. This hands-on leader will partner with engineers, developers, architects, and other business, technology, and corporate functions and leaders to develop and execute open source strategy, process, and governance across Verizon. The candidate for this role must have sound business and technical judgment, thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, and demonstrate an ability to create and drive pragmatic, proactive programs. A proven record of working effectively and across multiple diverse stakeholders, building relationships, and managing and empowering direct, indirect, matrixed, and cross-functional teams, is a must. This role will be a central function for the company within the Global Technology Services (GTS), Global Network and Technology (GN&T) organization.
The Director is responsible for defining, designing, building, and operating the Verizon Open Source Program Office (OSPO) and team. Director and OSPO responsibilities include standing up a center of excellence to coordinate, define, and enforce open source consumption, contribution, and compliance policies, implementing education, processes and tools to govern open source use, contributions, and releases. This includes working closely with security and legal business partners to support and monitor secure and appropriate consumption of open source, setting strategic vision, establishing architecture, review, and approval criteria, standards, and processes for open source releases and participation by Verizon, and providing tools, education and expertise to govern usage and contribution. In this role, you must have extraordinary organizational and cross-functional communication skills to develop and drive open source policies and strategies across a highly-matrixed organization. You will also serve as the primary point of contact for Verizon’s engagement with the external open source communities and consortia. Demonstrated commitment to, knowledge of, and experience in open source communities, open source project best practices, proven ability to launch and operate open source programs and projects in a complex corporate organization, facility with information security best practices, excellent partnership with legal and other stakeholders, and high fluency in enterprise software architecture, development, engineering, and lifecycle managements are key requirements of this role.
● Create and manage an Open Source Program Office to coordinate and execute Verizon’s open source strategy.
● Coordinate, unify, and influence open source usage, contribution, and engagement efforts across different technology development groups at Verizon, including Global Technology Solutions, Product and Technology Development, Network Planning and Engineering, and New Business Incubation.
● Institute and oversee a corporate center of excellence for open source workflow projects, operations, and management.
● Create and document, at a corporate level, compliance requirements, governance structure, level policies, practices, and training open source technical development.
● Define frameworks for open source program and project management, including management of third-party engagements, deliverables, and milestones, and ensure the cadence of open source project progress and support is in sync with enterprise needs.
● Own and direct internal open source management processes and external open source community management, and be responsible for optimizing and maturing the same.
● Coordinate multiple company-wide open source projects and programs.
● Provide thought leadership and strategic execution for a holistic open source strategy in alignment with corporate and company business unit strategies.
● Partner seamlessly with Legal, Security, Platform, Product, and Application Engineering teams to update and define open-source policies and controls that adapt and apply to continuously-evolving technology stacks, enable compliance and mitigate risk, and encourage open collaboration.
● Lead efforts in automating processes and building solutions to scale open- source consumption, contribution and compliance.
● Improve the developer experience.
● Collaborate with engineering teams to identify and promote “inner-source” solutions.
● Set and communicate the open source technology roadmaps to internal and external stakeholders.
What we’re looking for...
● Corporate savvy, with strategic business vision, and able to understand, elicit, and articulate needs and goals of a corporate open source strategy.
● Deep experience with managing enterprise open source organizations, including ability to lead a matrixed team, build consensus across teams, and establish, promote open source strategy formation, implementation, and daily operations.
● Familiar with planning for, initiating, and maintaining successful open source projects and community, and building workflows/processes and drafting guidelines for creating and continuing such projects and communities.
● Experienced in creating effective open source teams and communities, and dealing appropriately with competitors and collaborators in the communities.
● Ability to navigate large organizations, ability to drive thought leadership, projects, and results across complex organizations is required
● Must have a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
● Ability and record of proactively and consistently partnering with legal and security team collaborators.
● Effective and clear oral and written communicator.
● Experienced in project management.
● Deep knowledge of Agile principles, practices, frameworks, and metrics.
● 5+ years of experience in a software engineering leadership role.
● 10+ years of experience in the software development industry with several years managing open source projects, programs, or an open source program office.
● Strong understanding of open- source software culture, licensing, and governance.
● Experience contributing to and/or managing open -source projects.
● Experience establishing and working within an Open Source Program Office (OSPO).
● Experience using software dependency management tools and software composition analysis (SCA) products to manage open-source risks and compliance.
● 3+ years of experience building and deploying applications to one or more of the following cloud platforms: AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Kubernetes. Certifications in any of these platforms is a plus.
● Expertise with application lifecycle tooling including source code management, continuous integration and deployment, issue tracking, and automated testing.
● Experience and passion for working across other teams to solve problems, provide feedback, and gather information.
● Experience and passion for continually learning new technologies, services, and ways of implementing complex business solutions.
● Firm understanding of open source software governance, licensing, and culture.
● Knowledge of common open source communities and publication methods.
● Generic code review skills related to identifying intellectual property, security, and reputational risk in open source.
● Exceptional communication and customer relationship skills.
● Ability to build consensus and cooperation as well as to influence, interact and negotiate with senior leadership in the organization.
● Knowledge of change and project management methodologies and principles and the ability to integrate them into project design.
● Excellent judgment in collaborating with legal and compliance partners and obtaining relevant advice, and in implementing legal and compliance guidance in processes and governance.
● Broad knowledge of Information Security technologies, techniques and processes.
● Experience leading complex technical projects, meeting target timelines, facilitating project meetings, authoring project documentation, issue resolution, and project resource identification.
● Demonstrable ability to self-direct project outcomes, with minimal supervision to achieve program goals.
● Excellent process design capability to improve overall efficiency, mitigate resource conflicts, and improve customer/client experience.
● Ability to navigate and work effectively across a complex, geographically dispersed organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.