Specialist, Technology Field Services (100976)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
With minimal guidance, responsible for configuring, installing, troubleshooting and providing support to all software/hardware for IT users' desktops, laptops, printers and mobile devices. Advises Level I Support on moderate to complex technology issues, incidents and problems and provides guidance and direction to Level I support analysts for issues, incidents and problems associated with telephony systems, personal computers, first level LAN/WAN support and adherence to IT standards including PCs and wiring Involved in the rollout and installation of new software packages, upgrades, new desktop hardware and may perform end-user training. Maintains desktop software and hardware; supports mobile
workforce. Provides level II and III support, to IT users for software/ hardware end-user computing and desktop-based LAN systems; escalates malfunctions to level III support when necessary. Documents problems/ resolutions and maintains asset inventory. Assist with new hire on- boarding,Work with hiring managers, obtain assets, Desk setup, track ID provisioning, provide technical onboarding on first day. Participates in the testing/ evaluation of new desktop packages
and implements prototypes.
- Provides training, guidance, and mentorship to less experienced technicians analysts
- Responsible for deploying technological trends and solutions to enhance the enterprises competitive edge
- Provides maintenance and support for client products, peripherals, servers, mobile devices, networks and physical moves
- Provides maintenance, installation, and support for client software
- Configuration, deployment and implementation for new assets and/or lifecycle replacement
- Applies and enforces all Change Management policies and procedures
- Provides 24 x 7 after hours technical field support
- Provides data to assist with root cause analysis process when solving problems and implements solutions that will prevent the problem from reoccurring
- Work with vendor support for hardware and software resolutions
- Escalates deficiencies in technical processes and inform Management
- Documents and maintains local software installs and all site surveys
- All other duties as assigned
- Forecasts lifecycle replacement for all hardware and present to Management
- Performs & audits all asset inventory for assigned locations
- Keeps all associated inventory data current
- Identifies all missing assets via cross referencing
- Completes asset retirements as defined
- Ensures IT standards are being adhered to within their respective regional support areas
- Documents all non-compliance to standards issues and escalates to ITS Regional Client Manager
- Strong knowledge and experience related to computer systems, computer peripherals, and technologies.
- Thorough understanding of current operating system platforms
- Strong knowledge of various mobile devices (i.e. iPhones. iPads,air- cards, rugged field devices)
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, e.g., Onedrive, Teams, presentation, data base, project planning
- Apple Macbook knowledge
- Thorough understanding of wide and local area networks, and associated hardware
- Knowledge of VoIP and telephony
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the ability to absorb and present large amounts of detail through various forms of communications to any level of business users, IT management, or technical role
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, planning, organizational, time management, critical thinking and risk assessment skills
- Excellent interpersonal, people and people management skills (e.g., listening, coaching, facilitating, tact/diplomacy, employee relations, development, motivation, team building).
- Excellent client relations skills and customer service orientation
- Must be able to suggest plans to integrate new and existing systems
- Must be self-directed and able to work effectively in a diverse team environment with little to no direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate complex discussions in a mixed technical and business team environment
- Demonstrated ability to meet stringent deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field preferred or 5 + years in similar role.
- Minimum of 5 yrs of hands-on, IT experience supporting desktop software/ hardware products and problem solving/troubleshooting
- Experience providing maintenance and support for moderately complex client products
- Experience working effectively as a team member with minimal supervision on projects to ensure the high quality of the delivered software/hardware
- Experience working effectively on multiple projects that have enterprise-wide impact and require subject matter expertise of software/ hardware support processes
- Experience coaching/mentoring desired
- Experience with the utility industry is desirable, but not required
- Up to 50% travel as required
- TBD; High-pressure/time sensitive/changing environment.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.