Internal Auditor - IT (100468)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Responsible for participating in assigned audits by evaluating and assessing American Water’s (AW) risks/controls on the basis of an integrated control framework model to assure: 1) the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, 2) the reliability of financial reporting, 3) compliance with laws and regulations, and 4) the safeguarding of company assets. Also responsible for assisting with select compliance activities related to the company's code of ethics.Key Accountabilities
- Assess risks/controls from an integrated business control framework (COSO and/or COBIT) and established enterprise risk management processes and works with management to mitigate risks.
- Evaluates control systems currently existing in AW and works on assigned projects and develops risk/control assessments based on project objectives and expectations.
- Supports risk/control awareness and self-assessment throughout AW.
- Involvement in assurance or consultative activities within information technology processes and mechanisms.
- Responsibility for conducting selected audits/projects in the field on a day-to-day basis ensuring quality results.
- Responsible for assisting with Sarbanes Oxley testing activities.
- Evaluates processes and internal controls and works collaboratively with management to identify actions needed. This requires understanding expectations of the IA Manager and Senior IA staff in conducting work. Also involves open and constructive communication.
- Assists IA Senior or Manager with coordination and planning on a project basis.
- Assist IA Senior or Manager with issue resolution on project-related items and adapts appropriately to situations encountered, seeking advice or help where needed. Keep IA Senior or Manager sufficiently advised of progress and issues.
- Provide support in the conduct of compliance activities related to the company's code of ethics.
- Support development of draft report for department projects.
- Basic to intermediate understanding of audit theory, planning, testing, and reporting concepts.
- Understanding of process evaluation and review. Basic to intermediate understanding of SOX compliance evaluation and testing.
- Basic to intermediate understanding of risks/controls assessment from an integrated business control framework, such as COSO and COBiT (IT governance framework and supporting toolset).
- Basic to intermediate understanding of ERP, CRM, fixed asset, and financial consolidation systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical, systemic and problem-solving skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and in teams or effectively work independently.
- Interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on initiative, knowledge sharing, team building and decision making.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, Sharepoint); advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel functionalities (i.e. pivot tables, Vlookup, etc.)
- Strong data analytics skills and knowledge of related tools (IDEA, ACL, AWS, etc.)
- Prior public accounting, corporate and/or multi-subsidiary company experience a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Desire to pursue professional certification as a CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE and/or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years previous overall business experience required; business experience exposure consists of varied positions and experience.
- Experience with System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) Audit Framework
- Experience with technology and science such as coding, data science, statistics and programming.
- Experience in analyzing and documenting people and processes at the business unit and functional level is desired.
- Experience in Sarbanes Oxley controls testing desired.
- Experience working in a team-based environment is desired.
- Experience with ERP/CRM systems such as SAP, Hyperion, Oracle and Microsoft Dynamics a plus.
- Know, understand and follow departmental and company policies and procedures, and contacts that govern the work environment.
- Assist in creating a predictable work environment by communicating effectively with colleagues, supervisors, and managers.
- Participate in and contribute to the culture and environment in a positive and professional manner by collaborating with colleagues, offering suggestions, accepting feedback, resolving problems and being productive with the strategies of the organization in mind.
- Strive to achieve agreed upon goals, accept direction, offer and receive feedback in a constructive manner and communicate effectively to the betterment of the work environment.
- Possess the acumen of the subject matter and capacity to expand this knowledge based on professional dynamics.
- Work with team, disseminate essential communications and delegate tasks and follow ups to ensure desired results.
- Maintain the team’s efforts to drive toward meeting deadlines.
- Delegate work, follow-up and ensure operational effectiveness within the department.
- Involved with developing and mentoring less experienced professional within the department.
- 20% throughout the United States
- Modern day professional office environment
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.