Machine Learning Scientist - Telecommute
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs serves as United Health Group’s innovation and advanced product hub. Our team conducts cutting-edge research in the health care space and incubates data-driven digital solutions which aim to improve patients’ health outcomes, clinicians’ experience, and reduce health care costs. Our teams leverage clinical expertise, applied research and advanced data analytics technologies such as AI and Machine Learning to enhance business products and specific services.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop novel machine learning algorithms for prediction of health outcomes and improved care
- Implement machine learning algorithms from the literature and evaluate their performance
- Develop machine learning across different data domains (e.g., images, unstructured data, genomics), and across different machine learning domains
- Communicate the performance of the machine learning algorithms across an interdisciplinary team
- Write both internal and external documentation of the novel algorithms, including publications in machine learning and other scientific conferences and journals
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in machine learning, computer science, statistics, biomedical informatics, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience working on hands-on machine learning algorithms
- Hands-on experience in implementing and training machine learning algorithms and statistical analysis, including for example non-parametric tests, mixed linear models, modern supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithm’s such as SVM, random forest, PCA, t-SNE, clustering, and neural networks
- Understanding of mathematical foundations of machine learning, including statistics, linear algebra, or computer science
- Programming competence demonstrated in at least one or more of these programming languages: Python, R, Java, C++, Matlab
- Solid communication skills, including in an interdisciplinary environment
- Solid written communication skills of scientific material
- Knowledge and experience working with genomic data, wearables, or with medical records data
- Software tool development experience: source control (git), packaging, documentation
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Demonstrated track record of scientific publications in machine learning or a related field
- Experince working in health related fields (e.g., biomedical informatics, bioinformatics, biomathematics)
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment, particularly across engineering and medicine
- Experience with cloud computing
- Experience communicating with and briefing senior executives
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and fluid work environment
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.