VP, Machine Learning - Telecommute
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs serves as UnitedHealth Group’s research and development hub. Our vision is to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions that improve patient health outcomes and experience, enhance provider experience, bolster health equity, and make health care more affordable. Our teams leverage big data insights, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and disruptive product development while capitalizing on engineering, clinical, and scientific innovations to build innovative health solutions.
Our team, the Machine Learning research team in Optum Labs, is a research team that aspire to develop and apply novel machine learning methodologies that are specifically tailored to healthcare. We aim to develop disruptive technologies that will change healthcare for the better.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead a research agenda on machine learning domains in healthcare
- Bring machine learning scientific projects from ideation to prototype code that leads to journal publications and to intellectual property
- Lead, inspire and set the vision for the OptumLabs’ machine learning roadmap
- Communicate with others in OptumLabs and in United Health Group on machine learning issues
- Participate in strategic development of machine learning research across the organization
- Develop novel machine learning algorithms for prediction of health outcomes and improved care
- Develop machine learning across different data domains (e.g., images, unstructured data, genomics, wearables, and claims), and across different machine learning domains
- Communicate the performance of the machine learning algorithms across an interdisciplinary team
- Write both internal and external documentation of the novel algorithms, including publications in machine learning and other scientific conferences and journals
- You will evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing machine learning algorithms and tools, influence other Principals, Directors, and their technical teams to build the right systems and use the right machine learning tools
- You will present the results of the team’s research in scientific meetings and conferences in the field of machine learning in health.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- PhD in machine learning, computer science, statistics, biomedical informatics, or a related field
- 6+ years of experience in machine learning research post-PhD
- Hands-on experience in implementing and training machine learning algorithms and statistical analysis, including for example non-parametric tests, mixed linear models, modern supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms such as SVM, random forest, PCA, t-SNE, clustering, or neural networks
- Solid written communication skills of scientific material
- Deep understanding of mathematical foundations of machine learning, including statistics, linear algebra, and computer science
- Programming competence demonstrated in at least one or more of these programming languages: Python, R, Java, C++, Matlab
- Demonstrated track record of scientific publications in machine learning or a related field
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- 8+ years of experience in computer science, programming, machine learning, or related field
- 5+ years of experience working on hands-on machine learning algorithms
- Knowledge and experience working with health related data, including EMR, medical images, genomics, or claims
- Software tool development experience: source control (git), packaging, documentation
- Work on health-related fields (e.g., biomedical informatics, bioinformatics, biomathematics)
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Experience with cloud computing
- Experience communicating with and briefing senior executives
- Demonstrated experience working cross-group with Director and VP-level technical leaders
- Highly skilled and experienced at creating internal alignment across roles (Engineering, Product, Marketing, Finance, etc.) for strategic projects
- Hands-on software engineering experience
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences at the C-level
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and fluid work environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Solid problem-solving skills: the ability to analyze problems and develop actionable and appropriate tactical plans quickly
- Solid communication skills, including in an interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly organized individual
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
We Lead with Diversity, Inclusion and Compassion
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to “walk in each other’s shoes” and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital and championed by leaders.
We Invest in Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours. Join OptumLabs and you’ll be part of a culture that prizes innovation and works with uncompromising integrity.
At Optum Labs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments – to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $174,600 to $332,200. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $174,600 to $332,200. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.