Principal AI Machine Learning Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You’ll be leading a software engineering team in designing and developing a unified real-time ML platform to support Verizon’s AI-based personalization business objective. This is an important part of our ML Engineering organization’s long-term goal of reaching the unified MLE stack/platform. Your role will involve working closely with product/program/project management, Enterprise Architecture, Cloud Security, Infrastructure and other technical teams in/out of the AI & Data organizations to develop and improve the platform. This important work will help us to stay at the forefront of technology and positively impact the customer experience.
- Working closely with other teams to define technical strategy, architecture, development choices and ensure overall growth of the platform to meet our customers’ needs.
- Leading the platform development activities through phased platform releases, ensuring it is architecturally sound, implemented correctly/efficiently, and delivered on time.
- Supporting customers with major platform issues and coordinating triage efforts to solve them.
- Leading and mentor junior developers in the team always pushing for team successes.
- Detailing and maintaining architectural mentorship to ensure performance and scalability of the platform.
- Adhering to industry standards and best practices and tracking emerging ML technologies and trends to continuously improve the platform’s applications, infrastructure, and processes.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You enjoy keeping yourself up-to-date on the latest ML Engineering technologies and trends and using that knowledge to find innovative solutions to complex issues. With strong written and verbal communication abilities, you’re able to cut through technical jargon to describe complex concepts in a way everyone can understand. People know you for your strong leadership and the way you inspire teams to perform at their best. No stranger to working in a fast-paced environment, you convey a sense of urgency and manage multiple competing priorities with ease, never missing a deadline.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Strong collaboration skills and communication skills, especially when involving (non-tech) business stakeholders.
- Experience in cloud infrastructures.
- Experience in CI/CD process and common frameworks.
- Experience in MLOps/DevOps
- Two or more years of experience in ML Engineering areas.
- Experience in Python programming.
- Experience in cloud based development and production environments - AWS, GCP etc.
- Experience in large scale cloud-based platform/pipeline development and productization.
- Experience in basic ML practices and standard workflows.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a California work location, the compensation range for this position is between $124,000 and $261,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.