Principal Engineer Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Systems of Insight (SOI) group under Verizon’s AI&D organization is looking for a highly skilled innovative senior AI/ML Engineer.
As a principal member of Predictive/Prescriptive Analytics, you will drive AI/ML Engineering and Platform initiatives within AI&D. You will pro-actively evaluate state of the art technologies and build/enhance next generation Artificial Intelligence platforms such as Kubernetes, Domino, AI processor platforms for several data driven initiatives within Verizon’s AI&D.
- Performing AI/ML platform overall architecture, design, development and implementation.
- Performing ML model implementation including auto-ML, model development workbench, model development life cycle, feature engineering, ML pipeline frameworks.
- Developing and support a platform that enables data scientists to rapidly develop, train, and experiment with machine learning models.
- Expanding and optimizing data pipelines, data flow, and collection for cross functional teams.
- Creating and maintaining optimal data pipeline architecture by assembling large, complex data sets to meet functional and non-functional business requirements.
- Identifying and implement internal process improvements including automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and redesigning infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Supporting the building of machine learning, data platforms, and infrastructure required for optimal data extraction, transformations, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources.
- Working with architecture, data, and design teams to assist with data related technical issues and support data infrastructure needs.
- Implementing Machine Learning (ML) and Big Data platforms in Hybrid and multi-cloud environment (AWS, GCP, CDPpreferred).
- Participating in application of these AI/ML platforms include various business functions such as service, sales, marketing etc.
- Buildng, test and deploy prototypes, models, feedback loops, and monitoring systems.
- Delivering solution in an agile fashion so that the AI models that are designed and developed are operational in a production environment as quickly as possible.
- Providing thought leadership in different steps of the model lifecycle.
- Developing and maintain a reference architecture, documentation, case study that relates to use-cases of the AI models.
- Acting as a change agent and advocate across the SOI organization for new technologies and methodologies that enable higher levels of business agility and operational excellence.
- Working with application teams to define requirements and recommend new solutions for the various end user applications and integration design patterns.
- Mentoring other junior employees, team members to ensure they become more proficient in understanding and developing AI-ML-NLP solutions.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Where you will be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems and / or related technical discipline or PhD in similar discipline would be even better.
- Experience in influencing industry trends and customer sentiment around new technology adoption.
- Experience in Information Architecture, Data warehouse/databases, Big data platforms, Data Visualization.
- Strong technical leadership skills.
- Knowledge of development, testing, infrastructure, operations, technical architecture, and corporate functions (e.g. security compliance, governance etc.).
- Experience in working with a globally distributed Software Development Team.
- Experience in JIRA, Confluence and/or other similar collaborative tools.
- Experience in managing projects working on AI/ML Platforms such as Tensor Flow, Open Source Machine Learning tools, Python, DataRobot, Google Analytics, H2O.
- Ability to work across multiple, diverse teams.
- Strong communication skills and experience aligning with Executive vision
- Hands-on experience in AI/ML/NLP Solution Design and Development, Model Engineering, Enterprise Architecture, Data Structures, and Algorithms.
- Solid engineering and coding skills with the ability to write high-performance production quality code.
- Experience in using languages such as Python, R, SQL, and Scala; Environments such as UNIX, Conda, Jupyter, and Hadoop ecosystem; Methodologies such as Agile, CICD, code repo, automation, scheduling, monitoring using JIRA, Gitlab, Jenkins, ESPX, New Relic, ML Flow, etc.
- Experience in Cloud computing with a focus on tools, technology, and development methods pertaining to Machine Learning, NLP/NLG.
- Knowledge of common families of machine learning models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting.
- Strong communication skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you.
- Proficiency in GSuite (Google Slides, Docs, etc) , or MS Office suite (Project, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.