Machine Learning Engineer ( R-00071229 )
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer with an entrepreneur’s mindset to support a fast-paced and growing data science team working on projects critical to National Security. The position is located within a classified space in the Northern Virginia area, and requires an active TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will work with a cross-functional team of Data Scientists to build state-of-the-art models, automate data pipelines, and develop sustainable data structures for warehousing. You will also engage your soft-skills, communicating complexity to non-technical audiences, mentoring junior teammates, and finding consensus for critical decisions.
No two days are alike. You and your team will react to real-world events to obtain the best possible assessments for the policymakers and warfighters who need them. At the same time, you will be planning, testing, and building the ML-driven apps which will accelerate the customer’s capabilities.
You will work in conditions of technical scarcity that often accompany a classified development environment. You will find workarounds and advocate for new approaches while continuing to drive forward. You will step out of your comfort zone. On a given day, you could brief a simple OLS to a member of Congress or fine-tune the latest transformer model. On some days, you may do the work of a Software Engineer, a Social Science Statistician, or a Cloud Architect. You will be trained in our subject matter, which is inherently human-focused and, therefore, messy. As an Engineer, you will begin to think like an Intelligence Officer!
The Machine Learning Engineer who will succeed in this position is a master ML practitioner and an engineer at heart. We are looking for a thought leader with an impulse to experiment and build. Our ideal candidate will be flexible and adaptable, embracing setbacks and changing requirements with humor and expert-level proficiency.
Teamwork and soft skills are critical to success in this position. The ideal candidate will enjoy working as a member of a tight-knit and hierarchically flat team. The Machine Learning Engineer will jump in to help debug a script without asking, and take an hour to walk a junior teammate through the finer points of hyperparameter selection.
- Extensive experience deploying machine learning models into production in a cloud based environment (AWS preferred)
- At least 2 years direct experience developing and deploying deep learning models
- Expert-level proficiency in at least one scripting language and a desire to code primarily in Python
- Extensive experience with the SciPy stack or similar ML framework
- Experience with at least one modern deep learning framework (ie TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Experience deploying code in containerized environments using Docker and at least one container orchestration service
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying a wide array of data architectures, including data warehouses, data lakes, and standalone relational databases
- Must be a resilient problem-solver, adept at finding creative solutions given limited resources and tight deadlines
- Typically requires BS degree and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10-13 years of prior relevant experience.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph is mandatory
- Full stack development experience; including preference for modern java script frameworks such as React, Angular, or Vue
- Proficiency working with transformer and LSTM-based NLP models
- Technical leadership experience with a track record of quality, on-time deployment
- Experience with NoSQL and graph database architectures