Senior Scientific Programmer
Leidos has an opening for an energetic, motivated, and self-starting scientific programmer in the High-Fidelity Simulation business area to support the development of synthetic training systems and tactical decision aids systems.
The candidate will implement interface code to acoustic models and databases used in Tactical Signature Guidance (TSG) systems, including sonar tactical decision aids (TDAs) across multiple code baselines. The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to understand and troubleshoot complex software systems plus a willingness to learn new programming languages.
This individual will be responsible for understanding, managing, and integrating acoustic models and databases into state-of-the-art training and tactical decision aid systems for the United States Navy by being able to:
- Develop and/or integrate acoustic models and databases into US Navy systems
- Write unit tests to verify and validate acoustic models and databases updates
- Troubleshoot issues with acoustic models and databases as identified by stakeholders
- Act as a bridge between external model and database developers and the HFS team
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in Mathematics, Physics, Acoustics, or a related field
- Approximately eight years of experience in oceanographic or acoustic numerical model development, implementation, and/or data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new skills and programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, change gears quickly, and support emergency requests.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills.
- Must have IAT I or higher certification; or willingness to obtain certification upon being hired.
- Experience in one of the following:
- Geographic information systems
- Databases (SQL or NoSQL) develop and/or design
- Signal and/or image processing
- Big data using cloud computing
- Knowledge of data analysis frameworks (e.g., Tensor Flow, Orange, Jupyter Notebooks, pandas, or Weka).
- Understanding of statistical analysis.
- Understanding of physics, fluid mechanics.
- Able to analyze and troubleshoot existing code and database contents/schemas.
- Experience developing in a Linux environment.
- Experience developing with multiple programming and scripting languages (e.g., C/C++, Java, XML, Bash, Python, MATLAB/Octave, Scala, R).
- Experience using version control systems (e.g., git, Mercurial, Subversion).
- Experience in developing concurrent applications or using parallel computing architectures (e.g., Open MP, MPI).
- Experience with Agile methodologies and tools (e.g. Atlassian Jira suite).
- Incorporate new tools and processes to fulfill development requirements.
- Demonstrate a general commitment to excellence, a dedication to producing quality software products.
- Able to work successfully in a team environment of 40+ personnel.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.