Network Cybersecurity Analyst
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Network Cybersecurity Center (NCC) analyst reviews security events generated within the Verizon network infrastructure and responds to threats once validated. The analyst will follow well defined methods of procedure to investigate, identify and respond to security alerts. The analyst will conduct network security event investigations based on automated alerting and pre-defined incident response procedures. The analyst provides findings to management and Incident Commanders in order to carry out Incident Response actions whenever a significant security threat is detected on the network.
- Security event monitoring of the Verizon networks and systems.
- Working with technical staff members to resolve security events.
- Performing incident response and investigations using established procedures.
- Working within Splunk to identify anomalies, malware, exploit attempts and other attacks on Verizon network infrastructure and data.
- Providing feedback to improve the accuracy of automated detection rules.
- Resolving security event tickets in a timely manner per established guidelines and procedures.
- Identifying, documenting, and mitigating today’s security threats landscape.
- Examining data from automated internal and third-party security scans and penetration tests, to confirm or deny the initial reports.
- Ensuring systems with critical vulnerabilities are properly configured and patched.
- Performing operational reporting for situational awareness reports and messaging high visibility incident alerts and elevated threat conditions across the Wireline network.
- Performing configuration of operating systems,including: security controls, malware remediation, and desktop/server technical support.
- Identifying instances where automated tools have provided conflicting or incorrect information, and continue research to reveal the true state of the systems and networks
- Supporting process improvements by documenting variances in tactical response procedures.
- Developing and maintaining proficiency and accuracy in monitoring, response, and reporting through tactical cyber incident monitoring.
- Multi-tasking while working with a sense of urgency to resolve or escalate issues with established guidelines and prioritize work according to risk.
- Working in a highly collaborative environment, sharing findings and incorporating feedback from management and peers in order to better understand and respond to threats.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Associate's degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in the installation/configuration of various operating systems including Windows and UNIX.
- Willingness to work rotating schedule (shifts) including nights, weekends and holidays based on the needs of the business.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Splunk Enterprise Security or similar SIEM experience.
- Experience with netflow.
- Experience with different host based protections, email gateways and proxy technologies.
- Experience with virus remediation and desktop/server technical support.
- Knowledge of forensic analysis and big data concepts.
- Knowledge of desktop and server based computing systems such as Windows and UNIX.
- Knowledge of networking principles and advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Experience with scripting language skills, Splunk searching and/or regular expression creation experience to support dynamic security event analysis.
- Security certifications such as: GMON, GCIH, GCFE, GCFA, CEH, GCIA, SSCP, and Network/Security+ or similar.
- Statistical data collection and reporting experience.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.