Principal Network Automation Engineer ( 600946-1I )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This person works on the Verizon Wireless production network, including 4G/ 5G EPC Core applications and components. These applications utilize the best in class private 4G LTE, 5G Core and RAN networks and combine them with Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP) resources and ENSE fabric infrastructure to provide customers with the latest wireless capabilities, speed and capacity while contributing to the building of the next generation wireless networks. This is a unique opportunity to participate in all aspects of the engineering of automation and integration of virtual applications in the production network. You will be a contributing member within the Virtual Network Operations and Engineering (VNOE) Team, working with external vendors and internal teams such as Product, TP&D, Planning, MTCE and NI. You will have a strong, customer centric voice in assisting with as well as implementing the strategic roadmap of Automation and Virtualization of the network applications.
- Contributing to the VNOE organization in building next-generation Networks, including the CASA HeGW, LTE EPC, and 5GC edgecomponents.
- Understanding and contributing to the design and building next gen networks that will support innovative and disruptive consumer applications.
- Most importantly you will be contributor to the end to end automation and orchestration of EPC Networks applications along with the underlying web scale compute architecture using existing frameworks such as NFVD, Atlas, and openshift cloud platform with end goals of zero touch provisioning, high scalability, and closed loop in mind.
- Gathering testing and validation requirements and conducting FOA and trials in lab or internal FOA site locations
- Provide insight into VNOE requirements while partnering with internal teams and external vendors to develop 3+ years technology strategy, roadmap, and planning.
- Candidate will develop excellent working relationships with and work as a partner with HQ Planning, Product, TP&D, Network Implementation, and MTCE with the purpose developing best practices for the engineering and operations
- Partner with Planning to shape the future automation and orchestration framework that fits the needs of business requirements for VNOE.
Where you'll be working...
This is a work-from-home role performed almost exclusively from your home office with occasional in-person meetings and training.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelors degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP, LAN/WAN and IP routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, MPLS), familiar with spine-leaf architecture.
- In-depth demonstrable expertise of 4G/5G Core EPC technologies.
- Strong network design, engineering deployment experience and mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of interdependent aspects of virtual applications including eNSE, VCP-E, Open stack, Linux/Unix, application, and software skills (Python, Ansible, ATLAS and VNFD automation tools).
- Experience over Cloud Technologies such as Open stack, Kubernetes, Containers, etc.
- Experience engineering, monitoring, and growing complex data networks.
- Experience in wireless switching environment desirable.
- Possess a proactive work style with the ability to set priorities, work with minimum supervision and with a diverse group of professionals.
- Demonstrated proactive approach with professional development including technical and leadership training / certificates.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and work extremely well in a team environment.
- Ability to initiate independently identify issues, come up with timely, creative solutions, and own issues through resolution.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of management.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).