Principal Network Operations Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a PrincipalNetwork Engineer, you will be part of the Intelligent Edge Network (iEN) Support Team, focused on developing solutions that drive the success of Verizon’s bleeding-edge Networks and Platforms. You will lead cross-functional activities with partners in Planning, Performance, and Engineering. You will serve as a subject-matter expert for the new platforms being deployed globally- MSE (Multi-Service Edge), UT (Unified Transport), and NGPON2.
- Lead projects for supporting network upgrades, resolution of complex network troubles including interaction with Maintenance Engineering and Vendors and Network Planning.
- Regularly interact with Network Planning & Architecture to ensure operational issues are addressed.
- Engage in network migration activities associated with rolling services to the new iEN and subsequent decommissioning of older networks over the coming years.
- Identify, evaluate, and drive new opportunities through an expert-level comprehension of network design, routing \ switching, and the protocols used in the network stack to deliver intelligence and resiliency.
- Embrace agile methodologies and lead the effort to transform the way we do operations by promoting a DevOps and Automation mindset.
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation with willingness to work nights and weekends to provide escalations and technical support as needed.
What we’re looking for...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline.
- Knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, QoS, Multicast, MPLS, IP Routing Protocols like ISIS, OSPF, BGP, L3VPN, L2VPN, Traffic Engineering using BGP and MPLS-TE.
- Knowledge and experience with major router platforms.
- Knowledge of modern router architecture including interworking of control plane and forwarding plane, switch fabric, egress queuing.
- Knowledge of Metro Ethernet architecture, Next Generation Packet transport technology, understanding of MEF standards.
- Knowledge of Ethernet Switching technologies and Protocols.
- Experience with Python Scripting and Automation Experience.
- Experience Optical Transport Technologies - WDM, ROADM, and WSS.
- Experience configuring and maintaining Carrier Ethernet Switching.
- Experience with Automation using configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Salt. Ability to develop programs using REST API to a controller northbound interface.
- Knowledge of Network Configuration Models (Openconfig Yang Models, IETF Yang Models).
- Experience with multiple Software Defined Networking (SDN) controller architectures (OpenDaylight, Open Contrail, Northstar).
- Experience with network modeling tools like Cisco WAE or Juniper WANDL or OPNET for capacity augmentation and improvement where necessary during steady and failover state.
- Experience with Splunk for Proactive monitoring and Analysis using Next Generation telemetry, logging, reporting, dash board development, and continuous delivery technologies.
- Three or more years of Linux experience with RedHat and/or other Linux flavors.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a distributed team environment.
- Strong Scripting skills with Python, Perl and API experience.
- Expert-level certifications (e.g. CCIE, JNCIE).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.