Network Operations Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Join Verizon as we leverage our existing IP Networks with automation and turn of the century infrastructure. We are building opportunities within Verizon for career growth, network growth, technology growth, and the opportunity to impact how we develop the next generation Global Telecommunications Verizon supplies the world! This position seeks intelligent, forward thinking, collaborative-minded, and adaptable network engineers. Come see how you can enhance Verizon and our global customers. We are building and developing onsite training utilizing Verizon’s HR, Vendor support, Tier 2 Technical support, On the Job training, scripting, and automation! It is an exciting time at Verizon. We are deploying millions of miles of fiber that will power our Intelligent Edge Network (iEN). The iEN unifies services for Enterprise, Businesses, Consumers, and Wireless through bleeding-edge technology and innovation. Verizon is enabling 5G wireless speeds up to a Gigabit per second; ushering in a new era of content delivery, connected cars, and smart cities through Mobile-Edge Computing; and we building the blueprint for what it means to have a truly resilient Edge Network. The iEN Team is dedicated to evolving Operations to meet the demands of running the Network of the tomorrow.
The Ashburn Network Management Center is seeking motivated and driven engineers to support management of Verizon’s Intelligent Edge Network encompassing Unified Transport, NGPON2, Multi-Service Edge, Base Network Controller, IP Routing, and Converged Core technologies. When you join Verizon, You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses, and devices connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things, and innovating in areas such as video entertainment. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures, or numbers, find your future at Verizon!
The functions a network engineer will perform include:
- Proactive network monitoring, following established procedures when responding to network alarms and events.
- Generate, drive, and update problem-tracking tickets via multiple systems and continually improve business practices.
- Perform triage, fault isolation, and remediation of network events.
- Work with external and internal Verizon organizations coordinating and troubleshooting network events.
- Willingness to work all shifts, enhance automation through scripting and RPA (bots), and improve how the team functions for increased efficiency.
- Provide timely and accurate network technical assistance to external teams by communicating technical details and status to customer service centers, technical support organizations, and executive management teams during network events and major outages.
Where you’ll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills, including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge with TCP/IP.
- Python (or equivalent) scripting.
- Experience driving automation initiatives and process improvements.
- CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA, JNCIS, or CompTIA network+, certification.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.