Principal Network Operations Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
When you join Verizon, You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses, and devices connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things, and innovating in areas such as video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures, or numbers, find your future at Verizon!
We are building opportunities within Verizon for career growth, network growth, technology growth, and the opportunity to impact how we develop the next generation Global Telecommunications Verizon supplies the world! This position seeks intelligent, forward thinking, collaborative-minded, and adaptable network engineers. Come see how you can enhance Verizon and our global customers. We are building and developing onsite training utilizing Verizon’s HR, Vendor support, Engineering/Design support teams, On the Job training, scripting, and automation! It is an exciting time at Verizon. We are deploying millions of miles of fiber that will power our Intelligent Edge Network (iEN). The iEN unifies services for Enterprise, Businesses, Consumers, and Wireless through bleeding-edge technology and innovation. Verizon is enabling 5G wireless speeds up to a Gigabit per second; ushering in a new era of content delivery, connected cars, and smart cities through Mobile-Edge Computing “MEC”; and we are building the blueprint for what it means to have a truly resilient Edge Network.
The Wireless Edge Network Support team is seeking motivated and driven engineers to support management of Verizon’s Wireless Edge Network encompassing ENSE, eNSE-SR, Multi-Service Edge, MEC, IP Routing, and Virtual Cloud Platforms. The Team is dedicated to evolving Operations to meet the demands of running the Network of tomorrow. As the Principal Engineer, you will be part of the Wireless Edge Network Support Team, focused on developing solutions that drive the success of Verizon’s Edge Networks and Platforms. You will be innovative and lead cross-functional activities with partners in Planning, Performance, and Engineering. Responsible for developing software solutions that require ingenuity with an emphasis on continuous operational improvement and efficiency. Responsibilities include:
- Isolating and resolving IP routing, Call flow issues relating to 4G, 5G, and applications that reside in the VCP centers.
- Taking lead for multiple networks, devices and services.
- Partnering internally and externally with vendors to provide architectural leadership and review existing services, APIs, and platforms.
- Embracing agile methodologies and show an aptitude for being able to adapt and lead the effort to transform the way we do operations by promoting a DevOps mindset.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of Nokia/Nuage.
- Knowledge of Cloud Platform Technologies.
- Knowledge of F5/Juniper Firewalls.
- Knowledge of Cisco and Juniper routers.
- Knowledge of software architecture, programming languages, virtualization, and the networking layers.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience in the telecom industry focused on technology. Routers, switches, IP routing.
- Certifications in VXLAN, SR.
- Vendor Certifications.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Good critical thinking, problem solving abilities, and decision-making skills concurrent with excellent verbal and written communication skills including capabilities to communicate information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to lead people and manage technical discussions with a group of individuals in the industry with varying technical positions along with the ability to work well both independently and in diverse teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Sciences, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or six or more years of operations experience.
- Master’s Degree in a field relating to telecom/communications, engineering, information science.
- Knowledge of Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF), REST-CONF, and YANG.
- Certification in OpenStack, CloudStack, Red Hat or similar.
- CCIE/JNCIE Certifications.
- Experience in Nokia and Arista.
- Knowledge of NextGen Optical Networks, 5G, SDN, NFV, and other leading technologies, IP telecommunication equipment and technologies (Cisco, Juniper, Nokia).
- Knowledge of routing protocols (MPLS, LDP, BGP, IS-IS, and OSPF).
- Experience in SDN, Network Controllers, and NFV Orchestration and VNF Management.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.