Network Performance Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As our Network Performance Engineer, you'll be responsible for the advanced installation, operation, and maintenance of switching, data communications, and peripheral equipment associated with the Mobile Switching Center (MSC). You’ll be participating in multi-functional projects and working in a collaborative environment with other passionate, highly-skilled team members to create a positive impact on our business.
- Coordinating installation, testing and troubleshooting on voice and data network platforms and transmission facilities (dark and lit fiber services, Gigabit Ethernet Services, OCn, T3, T1, and DS0).
- Configuring and provisioning Cell Site Routers and Interfaces at the MSC.
- Assisting with maintaining system applications using traffic and capacity monitoring tools to track errors and keep the network performing optimally.
- Monitoring building automated systems (BAS) to maintain operation of network equipment such as AC/DC power systems and HVAC systems.
- Maintaining a secure operating environment to ensure vendor safety and network integrity.
- Providing initial troubleshooting and investigation of problems and as required manage outage troubleshooting bridges and engage Vendors for outage support.
- Updating daily logs with site-specific information to track and maintain network changes.
- Composing reports for system documentation to maintain environmental compliance and safety standards.
- Supporting stakeholder organizations to identify and solve complex problems.
- Identifying processes that can be improved, eliminated or automated.
- Assisting with the cell site build program and switch inventory management.
Where you’ll be working…
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
Physical requirements of the job may include, but are not limited to: climbing stairs and ladders, working from elevated areas, lifting and carrying objects weighing up to approximately 40 pounds, pushing, pulling, grasping, twisting/bending, and crawling, squatting, or kneeling in small spaces.
This position includes a relocation package.
What we’re looking for...
You’re tech savvy, and well-versed in all things telecommunications. Working independently is as comfortable for you as being part of a team. No stranger to a fast-paced environment, you manage multiple assignments, and competing priorities while staying focused on important deadlines. As a strong communicator, you can quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
You'll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of Data Networking and TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, BFD, SIP and other LAN/WAN protocols.
- Knowledge of data transmission facilities such as 1G, 10G, 100G, Native-E and SONET.
- Willingness to work on a 24x7 on-call rotation, work on a rotational night shift, and flexible shift as needed.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
- Ability to report to the assigned location within 30 minutes to 1hr notice when on call to provide coverage.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A technical degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Telecommunications.
- Knowledge of the LTE, VoLTE, and 5G network and call flows.
- Knowledge or certification in LAN/WAN switching and IP routing protocols e.g. CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA or NRS.
- Knowledge/experience in Router configuration and provisioning.
- Experience in automation/programming and scripting (e.g., python, ansible).
- Knowledge of the use of electronic test equipment.
- Knowledge of transmission facilities (e.g., dark and lit fiber services, Gigabit Ethernet Services, OC48, T3, T1, and DS0).
- Training or experience in any of the following areas: data communications, digital communications, linux operating systems and applications, telecommunications, networking or router support, working knowledge of DC power rectification and battery systems.
- Project management skills.
"If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every "even better" qualification listed above."
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $72,000 and $134,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.