Network Performance Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As our Network Performance Engineer, you'll be responsible for the advanced installation, operation, and maintenance of switching, data communications, and peripheral equipment associated with the Mobile Switching Center (MSC). You’ll be participating in multi-functional projects and working in a collaborative environment with other passionate, highly-skilled team members to create a positive impact on our business.
- Coordinating installation, testing and troubleshooting on voice and data network platforms and transmission facilities (dark and lit fiber services, Gigabit Ethernet Services, OCn, T3, T1, and DS0).
- Assisting with maintaining system applications using traffic and capacity monitoring tools to track errors and keep the network performing optimally.
- Monitoring building automated systems (BAS) to maintain operation of network equipment such as AC/DC power systems and HVAC systems.
- Maintaining a secure operating environment to ensure vendor safety and network integrity.
- Updating daily logs with site-specific information to track and maintain network changes.
- Composing reports for system documentation to maintain environmental compliance and safety standards.
- Supporting stakeholder organizations to identify and solve complex problems.
- Identifying processes that can be improved, eliminated or automated.
- Assisting with the cell site build program and switch inventory management.
- Working on deploying 5G technologies across the region.
This position includes a relocation package.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense Skillbridge/Fellowship Program.
Physical requirements of the job may include, but are not limited to: climbing stairs and ladders, working from elevated areas, lifting and carrying objects weighing up to approximately 40 pounds, pushing, pulling, grasping, twisting/bending, and crawling, squatting, or kneeling in small spaces.
Where you’ll be working…
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
What we’re looking for...
You’re tech savvy, and well-versed in all things telecommunications. Working independently is as comfortable for you as being part of a team. No stranger to a fast-paced environment, you manage multiple assignments, and competing priorities while staying focused on important deadlines. As a strong communicator, you can quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
You'll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to work rotating schedule (shifts) including nights based on the needs of the business.
- Experience in dark and lit fiber testing using equipment such as OTDR, fiberscope.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to report to the assigned location within 30-45 minutes of notice to provide coverage.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A technical degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Telecommunications.
- Knowledge of the LTE, VoLTE and 5G network, and call flows.
- Knowledge of Cieana, Nokia, Cisco and Fujitsu Routers and Networks.
- Electronics training in telecommunications, switching, networking, two-way radio, paging, or microwave radio.
- Knowledge or certification in LAN/WAN switching and IP routing protocols (e.g., CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA, NRS).
- Experience in automation/programming and scripting (e.g., Python, ansible).
- Knowledge in the use of electronic test equipment.
- Knowledge of transmission facilities (dark and lit fiber services, Gigabit Ethernet Services, OCn10G, OC48, T3, T1, and DS0).
- Knowledge or experience in any of the following areas: data communications, digital communications, Linux operating systems and applications, telecommunications, networking or router support, knowledge of DC power rectification and battery systems.
- Project management skills.
- Router and or Network certifications.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.