Network Performance Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a team member of the FAST, your primary role will be to provide remote support to Field Engineers with the integration of new equipment into the network. You will also help to identify and troubleshoot network issues that arise. This may include: alarm verification, remote resolution, cell site access assistance, network data trending and documentation. Key responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and reacting quickly to issues found with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and System Alarms on regional switch & data network elements; including LTE, EVDO, CDMA, VoLTE, and EBH networks.
- Serving as VZW primary contact while vendors are on site performing equipment upgrades.
- Interacting with vendors to obtain root cause analysis for all sector carrier outages, immediately obtain/create and distribute preventive procedures to avoid recurring outages, and works with field engineers to drive the vendors to deliver the final resolutions/fixes required to prevent future outages.
- Analysing network coverage to ensure contiguous communication, and network integrity - preventative and remedial maintenance of customer facing network elements with attention to issues with data drops, diversity imbalances, azimuth verifications, antenna down-tilt settings.
- Ensuring networks operate at peak performance, exceed VZW performance KPIs, and comply with all Maintenance engineering configuration guidelines and directives.
- Running standardized diagnostics and reports from the many networking tools used to baseline network element performance. The referenced tools include RTT (1x, EVDO, LTE, EBH), ALPT, etc.
- Overseeing the troubleshooting and restoration efforts for all regional CDMA, LTE and EBH network elements to improve regional network element performance by resolving and improving mean time to resolution on issues that impact VZW network services.
- Managing operational standards; including development of best practices, troubleshooting techniques, tools used for fault isolation and performance monitoring.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of the following technologies and/or platforms: CDMA voice/data and LTE data cells infrastructure with Nokia and Samsung, Alcatel/Lucent, Motorola, and/or Nortel/Ericsson.
- Experience in System Performance analysis and tools.
- Experience in Microsoft Office, and knowledge with windows hardware, network configurations and Google Suite.
- Troubleshooting experience using technical documentations and vendor support centers.
- A proactive work style with the ability to set priorities, work with minimum supervision and with a diverse group of professionals.
- Ability to have initiative to independently identify issues, come up with timely, creative solutions, and own issues through resolution.
- Ability of working with diverse staff with varying levels of experience and building rapport with Field Engineers, General Contractors, etc.
- Ability to prioritize effectively within tight schedules and a fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic and customer service orientation with high integrity and ethics.
- Commitment to professionalism, follow-through and attention to detail.
- High technical aptitude for assimilating technical concepts and new technology.
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to listen and comprehend effectively.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.